1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

ok neighbor????

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by steve in Pa., May 24, 2004.

1. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. LawnSite Senior Member

Did a estimate last year on a patio with a retaining wall, I go by this house everyday on the same street as my home. Aprox. 500 feet away. Anyway I saw one day that someone had dug out for the wall and patio with a mini excavator. It honestly looked like the homeowner was doing it himself. I thought no big deal. Next day or two I noticed blocks delivered. So now I'm really thinking the homeowner is doing it himself to save a few bucks. The homeowner's car was never there in the morning or at night but progress was being made on the wall. Anyway one day I came home for something during work time and low and be hold a scamscaper's there putting up the wall. Now i'm a little hot but oh well I think to myself. They get the wall done with the base being limestone dust. Then they start laying the patio ontop of about 6" of limestone dust?????? I'm thinking should I say something to the homeowner or just let it go and let him find out the hard way cheaper is not alway better!!!!!!! I let him go. So the patio's in and wall backfilled and to top it all off, he has the balls to use my landscape design for a flowerbed behind the wall. Talk about a slap in the face every day??? Just wanted to vent on this a little. Should I ask him what his price was compared to mine, ask if the scamscaper gave him a warranty because he's going to need it, or just keep my mouth shut and wait for the repair call?

2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Never give the customers your plans that you draw, unless they pay for them. I learned that the hard way as well.

3. Danimal

Danimal LawnSite Member

Had the exact same thing happen to me.It was a regular mow customer of ours. I've learned as well never leave plans behind.

4. fishman644

fishman644 LawnSite Member

it takes you time and cost you money when you could be doing something else. then if you get the job you can use your judgement and give them a break on the plans or not in appreciation for the buisness.

5. Capal

Capal LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I got one sim. to that one...only this 1 I laughed till I cried. I was giving an estimate on a $30,000 wall with 2 tears and a waterfall/pond in the middle... Make a long story short...cust. asked me how I was going to build it..I told him he said he could cut the cost back here and there and get by. Well, it was about 3 months later I went by there the wall was beautiful and I was impressed. Then the rains came and the wall BLEW OUT into his house...into his garage which killed a new jaguar...he called me up and said "what did I do wrong"? Come to find out no french drain was put in and the dirt/mud blew out. Cost on this house and re-build the wall correctly was $50,000. People will learn...just sometimes the hard way.

6. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Now that is a heart warming story!

"do it yourself and save" = "@#$% yourself, it's cheaper"