Ok starting mower?

gbaded09

LawnSite Member
My son is wanting to start mowing residential lawns <1 acre. We are looking at getting him a used mower and found the following post on a local listing:

“2002 Scag SWZU48a-17ka Hydro Walk Behind Lawn Mower with a 48" advantage floating adjustable deck and reliable 17 hp Kawasaki engine. No hour meter but low hours on mower-Previous owner used as backup and for slopes; bought to use on smaller residential lawns but need something smaller. All new filters, oil, spark plugs, and ignition coil. Starts, runs, and cuts good. Comes with ride-on sulky, two pairs of scag blades, and homemade mulching plate. Asking $1,700 obo”

is this a good mower to get him started? Is the price right on this? Sorry, not very knowledgeable and wanted to see if anyone had input

sagesove

LawnSite Senior Member
20 year old mower? Best to contact Scag to see if you can even get parts for it. Or scout all the small engine/mower websites to look for parts. Better check out the frame and deck(underneath) with a fine toothed comb.

Without seeing it by any of us on Lawnsite, best offer from me would be 400.00 to 500.00 bucks. And If it worked, I'd give it away to a local neighborhood teenager and let them rip and roar with it. My opinion on that anyway.

Gump_Runner

LawnSite Member
My son is wanting to start mowing residential lawns <1 acre. We are looking at getting him a used mower and found the following post on a local listing:

“2002 Scag SWZU48a-17ka Hydro Walk Behind Lawn Mower with a 48" advantage floating adjustable deck and reliable 17 hp Kawasaki engine. No hour meter but low hours on mower-Previous owner used as backup and for slopes; bought to use on smaller residential lawns but need something smaller. All new filters, oil, spark plugs, and ignition coil. Starts, runs, and cuts good. Comes with ride-on sulky, two pairs of scag blades, and homemade mulching plate. Asking $1,700 obo”

is this a good mower to get him started? Is the price right on this? Sorry, not very knowledgeable and wanted to see if anyone had input
There are plenty of deals to be had on much newer/updated mowers. That mower is 20 yrs old and might be worth 300 bucks for a homeowner that uses it sporadically.

Top Forums