• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Ok w/b guys, how much quicker is a velke than walking?

justmjc

LawnSite Senior Member
How much time do you save with a velke? Has anyone timed the percentage vs just walking? Is it even possible to keep up with a w/b at full throttle without one?

tiedeman

LawnSite Fanatic
a lot of time. You can pick up a speed and also your fatigue is A LOT less

OP
J

justmjc

LawnSite Senior Member
Ok, I know this guy who does 90 accounts using 52" 17hp w/b's, and him and another guy do it in about 42-44 hours per week. I'm trying to estimate how much time he's wasting because he doesn't use velkes on his machines. And since I use a rider, I'm trying to get an idea on what it would take me because I instantly get a few mph advantage over his w/b anyways. Thanks for your continued input guys.

rodfather

LawnSite Fanatic
I would say 3 times faster...I have 6 big (52 and 61 inch) WBs' with velkes.

plowman

LawnSite Member
If you like to walk real fast dont get one....... If you practice for about 10 minutes with one you will be fine. I would never go back to just walking. In some places you cant use a velke but you wont be going full speed in those areas. In my eyes you will never be happier with the time these things can save you once you get good with it.

GOOD LUCK

rodfather

LawnSite Fanatic
Originally posted by jajwrigh
Rodfather-
Do you primarily use wbs?
Yes, but also have 2 61" Z's and 3 72" Toro Groundsmasters too

rodfather

LawnSite Fanatic
Personally, I would take a WB over a Z or rider anyday...

PaulJ

LawnSite Bronze Member
Originally posted by rodfather
Personally, I would take a WB over a Z or rider anyday...
I agree with this.:D

It does depend someone the mower. You need a machine that can use the speed gained by not walking. Something that won't bog down or start to cut poorly at higher speeds.

something like this::cool:

swbcutting.jpg