1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Ok, what is it?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by bicmudpuppy, Jul 1, 2005.

  1. bicmudpuppy

    bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,781

    Found this in a box today. It was no longer in use, but how was it supposed to be wired and what did it do?

    It says hydromaaster products and Systematic on the label
    Top has a red light under which says PWR
    and two dials. Middle dial has VLT under it and right dial has WTR

    What has me wondering is the SIX wires. one white, one red, one blue, one green and two black. Who has seen / used one of these before?

  2. Dirty Water

    Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,794

    Hydromaster sells a computerized water condition system for irrigation systems, this may be a component of it.

    Usually you tightly wind a coil of wire around the pipe, and the conditioner uses that to read the iron content in the water.

    I'm guessing this unit was supposed to hook up to the coil, and then go back to the conditioner.
  3. DGI

    DGI LawnSite Member
    from SE Mich
    Messages: 173

    It might be some sort of flow sensor, if not what Jon said.
  4. jerryrwm

    jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,274

    About 15 yrs ago there were several companies marketing soil moisture monitor devices. They had many different types of probes and sensors in the ground which didn't last very long due to acids in the soil eating the probes after a year or so. Some used two or three probesset at different levels in the soil. Then these were wired into a control device. Some of the devices had relays and shunts in various configurations that were located in or near the controller.

    Your mystery item could be one of these. I can't remember which one though.

    Or it could be a Hydramaster Systematic Super Duper Thing-a-ma-jig that has no current known use.

  5. deekay1622

    deekay1622 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 50

    Sorry for dragging a 10 year old thread back up to the top, but I found one of these as well. I looked into it and it is part of a soil moisture sensor setup for an individual valve. Basically it is a common interrupt when the moisture sensor is wet (similar to a Normally Closed Rain Sensor). Looks like the company that made them went out of business around 1996. I found mine in a buried valve box in the middle of a football field. Perfect spot for one of these!

    2014-05-30 15.52.18.jpg
  6. deekay1622

    deekay1622 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 50

    Oh yeah, forgot to add:

    Two black wires to the solenoid leads

    Red wire to the valve control wire
    White wire to valve common wire

    Blue and Green Wires to the soil moisture sensor.

Share This Page