Oklahoma/Arkansas dormant bermuda

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by AnotherOkie, Jan 10, 2020.

1. AnotherOkie

AnotherOkie LawnSite Senior Member
    from Newalla

With these unusually warm air and soil temps, are you considering not using glyphosate with this round. I'm already seeing a few Bermuda flags along edges of concrete. 2 inch soil temp around 50 degrees. I usually run prodiamine-metsulfuron-gly this round. I'm considering pulling the gly and using some simizine with it. Or maybe even a roll my own blindside with prodiamine. Yards are clean but callbacks are expensive.

Yesterday morning at 6 a.m., 2 inch soil temp was 52 degrees. Today looks like 64 degrees with a chance of tornadoes and 4 inches of snow on Saturday. Love this crazy weather.

zlandman and hort101 like this.
  2. Digitaria Sanguinalis

Digitaria Sanguinalis LawnSite Senior Member

I’m still going to use glyphosate and I won’t start my 1st round for another month. As long as you blanket and not spot spray your good.

There are various studies done on this exact subject. They even applied to partial greened-up Bermuda. At most it delayed green-up a week or two

woodlawnservice likes this.
  3. woodlawnservice

woodlawnservice LawnSite Bronze Member

I wont start for a month as well and I'm spraying it. I think temps will fall off later than usual.. I've also sprayed well into green up with little delayed effects... when I had 10% green up and sprayed gly. I'd say the green up was delayed by maybe 2 wks....not much really

4. B-Easy

B-Easy LawnSite Member

How hot do you mix the Gly on these Winter/Dormant Bermuda applications? Is it effective if your not getting several days of 50 degree temps prior to the application? Getting any pushback on Gly? I've looked into the alternative and it's not financially feasible.

5. woodlawnservice

I run 2 quarts and acre. No adverse effects. Just veeerrryyy slow kill.... multiple wks to kill out... we always get warm days over 40s and 50s even on the midst of cold cycles...

6. OP
    OP
    AnotherOkie

from Newalla

I run 1.5 q/a with about 3-5 lbs of AMS. Most of my yards are pretty clean. Just a couple of visible weeds near gutters, dog houses, etc. I would bump up to 2 q/a on a new customer that didn't have fall treatment.

7. woodlawnservice

AMS ?

8. Digitaria Sanguinalis

Digitaria Sanguinalis LawnSite Senior Member

Ammonium sulfate

9. lawndude28

lawndude28 LawnSite Senior Member

The push back on gly is coming.

10. OP
    OP
    AnotherOkie

from Newalla

That is very possible and here are those customers options.

1. Learn to live with poa annua and brome

2. Pay 2x-3x for premium products such as monument, certainty, specticle, revolver.

3. Be quiet and don't eat your grass.