Old Bop quick 44 blade pulley removal help

19blazer89

LawnSite Member
I have an old Better Outdoor Products Quick 44. The bearings on one of the blade spindles are shot. Need to remove the pulley but the nut on top will not come off. Wedged a 2x4 under to stop the blade from spinning but no use the the blade bolt loosens up allowing the spindle to turn while the blade does not. The Bop company is no longer in business so parts for this machine are limited. New to the forum so not sure if that covers it. Thanks

Ronniecoleman

LawnSite Member
Spray some penetrating oil on the nut and let it sit. Then if you have an impact wrench use it. Other option remove the blade use an open end wrench to hold the spindle bolt and a breaker bar on the nut above.

OP

19blazer89

LawnSite Member
Spray some penetrating oil on the nut and let it sit. Then if you have an impact wrench use it. Other option remove the blade use an open end wrench to hold the spindle bolt and a breaker bar on the nut above.
Ok I will give that a shot. Thanks

JoeRagMan

LawnSite Senior Member
I use a poor man's impact wrench; use the correct size box wrench, wear gloves to hold wrench on nut and whack the other end of the wrench with a large rubber mallet. Also, safety glasses are required! Good luck.

Valk

LawnSite Platinum Member
You need a LARGE crescent wrench to hold the barely visible bottom of the spindle that is below the deck on the lowest portion. Easiest done when spindle is (still) installed on the deck...unless you can get a vise (or something) on to this particular surface.

OP

19blazer89

LawnSite Member
I have tried all of the above including the poor man's impact. I can't get anything to hold at the bottom it's a circle with with 2 small flat sides and it seems impossible to lock onto it and keep the tool level enough to stay. Thanks for all the ideas

OP

19blazer89

LawnSite Member
I have tightened the blade bolt as much as I can but when use a block it still backs the bolt out all while the blade stays wedged in place. It just loosens the blade put simple.

Breezmeister

LawnSite Silver Member
. I can't get anything to hold at the bottom it's a circle with with 2 small flat sides and it seems impossible to lock onto it and keep the tool level enough to stay. Thanks for all the ideas

Get the biggest pipe wrench you can, 24 in, 36 in, it'll come off with that......Thumbs Up

Valk

LawnSite Platinum Member
I have tried all of the above including the poor man's impact. I can't get anything to hold at the bottom it's a circle with with 2 small flat sides and it seems impossible to lock onto it and keep the tool level enough to stay. Thanks for all the ideas
Over the years, I've changed out a dozen+ of these w/ a large crescent wrench...and have done so w/o assistance. It's not fun and can be frustrating, but is doable.