• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Old craftsman chainsaw

tryingtomakeit

LawnSite Member
I found an old Craftsman saw in the trash last week. It runs on carb cleaner, so I know I need to clean the carb..

Model # 917:353774. 3.7, 18" bar. Does anyone know if this is worth keeping or is it a seller?

I already have a Stihl MS 210 16" bar that I bought new last summer.

I only use it to keep up on my Grandma's 3 acre rural property.

I have no idea of it's age or anything. The only sticker on it is it's model/serial, which is how I found out it's a Craftsman 3.7 18"...... I don't even know if the 3.7 is HP or CID....

Thanks in advance....

FIXDISS

LawnSite Senior Member
If you just enjoy the challenge you can clean it up and maybe get it to run. Craftsman no longer carries much as far as parts for that model. No idea how old it is and I doubt you could get much for it if you do get it to run.But who knows ? Maybe it's a collectible...

scottr 2006

LawnSite Member
That saw was made by Roper for Sears and it has 3.7 cubic inches, 60.6 cubic centimeters. Take the muffler off and look at the piston and cylinder to see if it is in good condition.

TGM

LawnSite Senior Member
Take the muffler off and look at the piston and cylinder to see if it is in good condition.
exactly, that's the first thing you should do. check for scoring. very light scoring is usually ok (possibly due to dirt), but if you see any heavy scoring just throw the saw away. parts, and labor if a shop does it, are not worth it

also, i wouldn't run it on carb cleaner for too long, it'll wash away any oil that's left in the engine. if the piston checks out good, you may be able to get some money for it. depends on the model. or maybe a backup saw?

OP
T

tryingtomakeit

LawnSite Member
I only popped it for one squirt of carb cleaner after I took the carb off.
The piston looks great and it has plenty of compression.

Thanks for the responses, and thanks for telling me the history of the saw's origin.

TGM

LawnSite Senior Member
I only popped it for one squirt of carb cleaner after I took the carb off.
The piston looks great and it has plenty of compression.

Thanks for the responses, and thanks for telling me the history of the saw's origin.

that's good then! everything else is easy and cheap to fix

kogafortwo

LawnSite Member
A 60 cc saw is a good thing to have, especially for free. Clean it up, invest as little $$ in it as possible, put a good chain on it, run it. It should pull a 20" bar no problem and a 24" if you really need it to.

It will outcut your MS210 which is good for maybe a 16" bar if you don't push it.

philosjohn

LawnSite Member
After the serial # there should be more #,s, such as 2371m and 11080. This will give you an idea of how old it is. I have one of these (it is orangeish red), that the ignition coil has died. Most of any repair parts are no longer available. I have been looking for an ignition coil for quite some time and have had no luck. If you decide you do not want to keep it, maybe we could work something out.

dboyd351

LawnSite Bronze Member
Many of the craftsman saws were made by someone else for Sears, so you may be able to get parts from the real manufacturer. Poulan made most of the older top handle craftsman saws, for example and I think some of the larger saws, as well.