Old Kawasaki Replacement

KithicHunter

LawnSite Member
Hello all, new to the site and first time poster here.

Just recently aquired an older Exmark walk-behind with which to start a part-time lawn service business in my local area. The mower runs but the engine seems very tired, it's the Kawasaki FC290V-AS01 9HP, which I understand is discontinued.

I'm looking at replacing the engine with something newer but I'm unsure as to what I can run easily and safely on this mower. Also price is definitely a factor, with the business still in the early stages. I'm looking at something like B&S Intek 17.5HP 31R976-0016-G1, a nice HP increase at a decent price while still being a recoil start for simplicity.

Open to suggestions from anyone that may have replaced this engine in the past or know how it could be done easily!

Oh, here's the specs on the mower itself:
Exmark Metro 32" 5sp: M329B 130k series (97-98)

Thanks again!

BigFish

LawnSite Fanatic
Yet gonna have to compare crankshaft specs. on the two, right.
Check out online vendors, or do a search on here. Couple come highly recommended.

OP
K

KithicHunter

LawnSite Member
Thank you for the reply!

I'm actually having a hard time researching the shaft specs for the FC290V, even on the technical page of Kawasaki's website doesnt have it listed (unless I missed it). Whereas most all modern engines on vendors websites have the sizes clearly listed. Any tips on how I should proceed?

JoeRagMan

LawnSite Senior Member
There are several vendors that explain how to properly measure crankshafts. Usually to get the correct length measurement has to taken from bottom of engine at mounting flange. Then crankshaft diameter and if crankshaft has a tapped(threaded) hole.

OP
K

KithicHunter

LawnSite Member
So I've spent the last few days looking all over the internet, even sent out a few emails to repower websites requesting their expertise. But I cannot seem to find -any- vertical shaft engines that have an identical shaft size to the one I have. Nearly all are 1"x3-5/32. If I went with an engine with a larger shaft diameter what exactly would I need to do in order to make it work on my mower?

Breezmeister

LawnSite Silver Member
But I cannot seem to find -any- vertical shaft engines that have an identical shaft size to the one I have. Nearly all are 1"x3-5/32.

:nod: Metric is so much easier...your crank shaft end is 25.4 inches in dia, 1 inch.....The lenght is 3.15 (That is a decimal point) or about 3 - 5/32 long, or 80 mm.

So you need 25.4 mm x 80 mm Thumbs Up

JoeRagMan

LawnSite Senior Member
Several ways to go, first is the mower worth putting a new engine on? Second, how much room is under the engine mount? If you found an engine with a longer shaft would it fit? I found a Briggs engine (not the best quality) which doesn't include a fuel tank at Jack's Small Engine, $500. Third, if you do not want to invest a lot of money, find a used lawn tractor with deck/transmission issues, yank the engine out and mount on your mower. Either find one with the correct shaft or replace the sheaves. Sell or recycle the rest of the tractor for scrap. Good luck and keep us posted.

OP
K

KithicHunter

LawnSite Member
:nod: Metric is so much easier...your crank shaft end is 25.4 inches in dia, 1 inch.....The lenght is 3.15 (That is a decimal point) or about 3 - 5/32 long, or 80 mm.

So you need 25.4 mm x 80 mm Thumbs Up
So if I get this right (fractions and decimals have never been friends of mine), any of those 1x3-5/32 sized engines I've been looking at could technically fit my application? Because they all break down into metric size 25.4 x 80mm?