• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Old Rainbird Valve - Any Chance for Parts?

ctimmins

LawnSite Member
Working on an old Frankenstein system with parts from various manufacturers from various decades. These valves (which are having trouble turning off) run into metal pipe within a foot of either side of the box and I'm not very eager to climb into that mess. I'm hoping to buy the top half and screw it onto the bottom half, but... I can't find anything even close.

Any chance anybody can identify the value model? All I can see on the outer ring is "Rain Bird" "Glendora, Calif USA" and "Flow ->", with the exit out under the solenoid. They don't look like anything Rainbird is offering these days.

Thanks!

v2.jpg

V1.jpg

Working on an old Frankenstein system with parts from various manufacturers from various decades. These valves (which are having trouble turning off) run into metal pipe within a foot of either side of the box and I'm not very eager to climb into that mess. I'm hoping to buy the top half and screw it onto the bottom half, but... I can't find anything even close.

Any chance anybody can identify the value model? All I can see on the outer ring is "Rain Bird" "Glendora, Calif USA" and "Flow ->", with the exit out under the solenoid. They don't look like anything Rainbird is offering these days.

Thanks!

View attachment 409115
View attachment 409116
I don't have old catalogs available any longer, so I can't confirm. However, from faulty memory, this is a RB EV.

Wet_Boots

LawnSite Fanatic
You can get parts for that valve if you search for Irritrol HR1, which is actually a non-existent valve model, and not in production as a complete valve, but rather is referring to the original maker (Hydro-Rain) and model number, and the current owner of the old production tooling (Toro, and their Irritrol line of valves) - You can get diaphragm assemblies and bonnets, but not valve bodies - be on the lookout for cracks in the bodies of the old valves, which will require replacing the entire valve

irritation

LawnSite Gold Member
That valve uses the R811 solenoid. I think you are supposed to remove the retainer that holds the plunger captive on some of the old valves. I don't remember if the EV-100/HR1 is one of them.

Wet_Boots

LawnSite Fanatic
That valve uses the R811 solenoid. I think you are supposed to remove the retainer that holds the plunger captive on some of the old valves. I don't remember if the EV-100/HR1 is one of them.
That remove-the-retainer trick doesn't fit the new version of the solenoid, which employs the retainer to hold the sealing O-ring in position. Some careful surgery with a sharp blade can remove some of the retainer, and do the trick.

OP
C

ctimmins

LawnSite Member
I ordered the over-priced SOL4 from The Source. Hopefully the installation will be easy enough to overcome the sticker shock :D