1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

older John Deere vibration?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by cutnitclose, Mar 13, 2004.

1. cutnitclose

cutnitclose LawnSite Member

I bought an older model "late 90s I think yellow deck" John Deere 48 inch 17 hp kawasaki commercial walk behind. The guy that had sold it to me because he got it free. I didn't think it was that bad, but when it starts it is extremely loud and seems to vibrate, . It has 525 hours on it and mows like a brand new one and runs great. I had 2 small engine places look at it. 1. said the balancer had came lose on the shaft. 2nd said it had a rod knocking. My thought is I'm going run it, for as little as I have in it. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know..:confused:

2. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

pull the balancer shaft from the rear of the engine and see if its broken

3. cutnitclose

I don't think I'm mechanical enough to do it, but I will give it a try.... Thanx for the suggestion

4. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

5. cutnitclose

I'll look it right now..... Thanx charlie

6. cutnitclose

I looked at the site I didn't see anyhing as far as repair "I may have missed it", but I did see where I could order a owners manual. I will order one this afternoon.... Thanx for the info..

7. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

8. cutnitclose

I'm pretty sure it is an older version of the gs75.. 48 cut 17 hp 5 gears..... I will look at the other site right now.... Thanx again.....

9. cutnitclose

Charlie that is my mower..... I'm going to see if I can read it and find the balancer/shaft........

10. cutnitclose

No luck I could find it on there... it was the same mower but it didn't tell me what would be causing it or how to pull the shaft....
    I appreciate you taking the time to look up the website, a lot of people wouldn't have went to the much trouble.... Thanx again!