Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend wants me to work on his father Wheel Horse tractor, it was bought in 1976 ish, 8 horse. He is leaking oil out the head gasket it seems. Is this possible? When I think of a headgasket, I think compression, and coolant, but as this is air cooled, coolant isn't in play here. The valves are next to the piston also. Also as we were looking at the tractor he said it was leaking oil out the oil drain pipe, as I inspected it, I noticed it was gas. I dried it and a few minutes later it was driping gas again. Seems to me the crank case is full of gas. No fuel pump either. I do a lot of work my self, but this is a new one for me. Can someone help me shed some light on this subject. Thanks -Walter

· Registered
2,249 Posts
The result of intake and combustion gases combining with oil carried by the rings exiting the blown head gasket will give the appearance of an oil leak around the head.

The crankcase being contaminated by gas is likely a result of a leaky needle/seat in the carburetor. This wil necessitate a rebuild of the carb.

I'm guessing it is an old 301 Kohler. If you're really interested in getting it going, I'd spend the bucks on a head gasket then check existing compression. If the compression is adequate then you can go ahead and spend the additional money for a carb kit. Most likely if the carb has been leaking fuel the cylinder/rings will be gas washed so add a little oil to the cylinder before checking compression.

Dutch

· Registered
445 Posts
Thoroughly clean the carb. The float is either sticking or needle and seat is bad allowing the gas to flood into the crankcase via the intake valve. After you repair the flooding problem be sure to change the oil. Make sure head bolts are all tight.Then If you have a head gasket blown change it. Do not run the engine with gas in the oil.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, he all ready has the head gasket, so we are going to do that. Dutch, that first model # you gave me is in the book he gave me, but it has 3 models, k241, k301, & k321. Just not sure which is which. Thanks again, thanks for the carb info, I can rebuild them easy, just weird how the gas drains into the crank case on these, when I have seen them w/ a stick float/needle, the carb seems to leak its self.

· Banned
22,465 Posts
Yeah, they all do that, newer Kohlers also, leak gas into the oil...
Maybe not when they're new but give it time, every last one of mine has done it.

Why I always shut off the fuel valve.

Briggs too, actually.

· Registered
147 Posts
Time for rebuilt.

Have one on case 222. They are tough engine.

Carb's float stuck open cause gas go in engine.

If I were you I would just rebuilt it then wait another 30 years then it need rebuilt again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.