1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Oldest equipment that you’ve pulled out of a job...pics please!

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by Outlawn, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Outlawn

Outlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Like the title says: what’s the oldest equipment that you’ve pulled out of a job? Controllers, heads, valves, backflows, or anything in between.

I’ll start off. I replaced this J Hardie 4000 today. This same system also had two copper spray heads which were soldered onto copper risers.

Not pictured (yet) but I have a customer from when I had the lawn company which had the oldie brass-pop up heads and brass manual gate valves.

52739BB1-E207-425D-8070-D5D08B9E441F.jpeg

04E9224F-8C6A-44D9-9697-C231E0CA1CDB.jpeg

For what it’s worth, the date on the battery was “SEP 2001”

Smokindog likes this.
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I bet that Hardie 4000 was made in California.

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Damn good stuff! :nod:

DSCN4371.jpg

4. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

that clock was a fun one. It always took a few minutes to remember how to program them.

5. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Gold Member

I probably see 25 of those a year still

6. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Gold Member

I would say I run into about 5 Imperial's a year still. On multi-mill houses even lol
    old school imperial.jpg
    There was this one last year that crapped out.. It was a weathermatic but even more simpler then the imperial/ rain bird mech. I had to use the weathermatic SL secret amperage setting to activate the higher amp old solenoids.

The rain clox .. I've only seen one of these

IMAG0128.jpg IMAG0126.jpg

7. Mike Leary

Imperials were very popular with the "in the know" contractors in the PNW. I recall thinking, after I installed my first one, "you've hit the big time, Mikie"!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  8. Wet_Boots

Was a two-clock install for dual scheduling?
    [​IMG]

Mike Leary likes this.
  9. Mike Leary

Way back when, I had a client that was having trouble with a slow recharging well. I put in a Imperial 22 zoner, though the system was only 11. Used the clock to delay in between the real zones. Worked perfect until the next "irrihack" (rather than call me) installed a 12 zoner: ran the whole place out of water! Almost had the guy convinced he needed a new well until he called me and found out WHY the 22 zoner went in. :oops:

Outlawn likes this.
  10. Wet_Boots

Yeah, the waste-every-even-numbered-zone-to-recharge-the-well programming was once the only available option. It required a system without a master valve, or for a well-water system, a pressure tank and pressure switch, to keep the pump from deadheading during the recharge period. The exception to that configuration rule was the Batrow controller, since it used the 24-hour time-keeping wheel to also time the zones, as per trip pins set into its perimeter, making it possible to use those with a relay-controlled well supply.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    Mike Leary likes this.