1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Oldie, but goodie

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scag48, Jul 16, 2000.

1. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Well, the closest thing I've got to a ZTR is a John Deere 30" rear engine rider that I got for free from a friend of mine. Doesn't run but I'll fix that. It seems a little more sensible for those big jobs that I might encounter. My only concern is it doesn't have a mulching plug, so I can't mulch unless I lay out some cash for a new deck or just a recycler kit. Seems like the new riders are just like old ones so I bet I can still get the same parts for engine, etc.. Don't get me wrong about commercial mowers, I would love to have one, just don't have the cash. I won't look to bad riding on a rezzie model, that's what everyone in town uses. The only thing I lose with the rider are those great back and forth stripes I make with my 21". For those of you saying to yourself, "What kind of idiot can't stripe with a riding mower" this is for you, I can't afford a ZTR, just a rezzie rider. And I must add, the price was definetly right.

2. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

did you mean that all the other pros in your town use noncommercail equipment??

3. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

like my folks always told me-make do with what you've got until you can afford a better one.<br>Just work hard & smart & upgrade when you can.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>

4. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

I agree w/ smitty.. You have to crawl before you walk. Take it easy and be smart, don't get in over your head. But as soon as you can afford to upgrade, do so! <p>Mike<br>Greenkeepers