1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

OldSaw for OldSaw

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by vipermanz, Aug 27, 2005.

1. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey man, i know you are the chainsaw whiz around here so i've got a project for you.
    I have and older homelite XL chainsaw model 105152 (still says homelite/textron on the tag) and i can't get a spark on it, i've tested the coil and that isn't the problem, it's got the points ignition behind the flywheel and i don't know the first thing about points systems.
    Any Pointers?? lol Pun intended

Joey

2. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Try taking the points out, clean the contacts with a file so they're smooth and clean, then regap at .015" and see if you've got spark. yours is an older model XL with the top handle I presume. if its a rear handle model, you've got an XL1. either model is good to work with.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

4. vipermanz

It's got the top handle, I'll try the tips and see what's up

5. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I've always wanted one of those, they're nice little saws, though a pain to work on, they are pretty reliable machines when they're running.

6. vipermanz

when i had it running years back it was pretty damn powerful, it had a 12" bar on it when i got it, right now it's in about 15 pieces with the engine out..

7. shsmallengines

shsmallengines LawnSite Member

those saws you have to take completly apart to do any thing with them