on a slope

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by woodlawnservice, May 18, 2019.

1. woodlawnservice

woodlawnservice LawnSite Bronze Member

spreading 300 cubic yards of topsoil on a slope of 1-9 degree... so pretty steep... dumping up top and pushing it down at 4-6' thick. what equipment would you use and why? skid steer or dozer....?

2. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

4-6 inches thick? Or 4-6 FEET thick?

How many loads are you spreading? For one load id say a skidsteer. If your talking 10+ loads, with trucks running loads all day then a dozer might be a better fit.

Need more details

3. code54

code54 LawnSite Member

Guessing you mean 4-6" because that is not that much dirt. Seeing the slope is not too bad at all you have some options. Can do it with a skid or tractor/loader with a blade pretty easily.

Did 60 tons on similar grade before with drainage sloping with a 50hp Kubota 4x4 tractor/loader and it was not a big deal. A tracked machine would be really quick and easy.

4. Mumblingboutmowers

Mumblingboutmowers LawnSite Senior Member

As Junior said, the big question is inches or feet as I couldn't see any reason to put topsoil 4-6 ft deep. My other question is what is the length of the slope? If it's not too far to the bottom an excavator with a blade attachment would be the tool of my choice.

5. OP
    OP
    woodlawnservice

4-6" sorry

And it's about 30 loads 10 wheeler.... so alot in my books.... 1/9 slope so its pretty steep

6. OP
    OP
    woodlawnservice

Slope is 250' long....

7. Mumblingboutmowers

Mumblingboutmowers LawnSite Senior Member

You mean from top to bottom or across?

8. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

I’d use the tracked skid steer. It’s easier to operate and easier to get. If you only have 1 or 2 trucks hauling that would be the limiting factor anyway. Have you planned for erosion?

woodlawnservice likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    woodlawnservice

Top to bottom . Width is 150'

10. OP
    OP
    woodlawnservice

Spec call for straw wattles or blanket but does not specify quantity.... after its spread, it needs seeded then covered