• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

? on early use of Roundup

GarPA

LawnSite Silver Member
I want to kill off about half of my rear lawn and install planting beds(its a mowing hassle right now)

I;ve never done any larege area spraying this early in the season and although there is some greening going on now I think it might be a little too soon for the grass to process the chemical adequately.

Your opinion? thanks

scweedman

LawnSite Senior Member
What is your average day temp?

Scraper

LawnSite Bronze Member
You won't get the fast uptake right now. Although Round-up will work, it'll be slow to see the results and you may not get as good of control as you'd like. You could try an ester based nonselective herbicide.

Ric

LawnSite Fanatic
Originally posted by timturf
Round up is slow, and results aren't as good when air temps are low. Plants you are trying to kill need to be actively growing
When weeds are actively growing add Nitrogen to the Roundup for faster uptake and response.

OP
G

GarPA

LawnSite Silver Member
thanks guys...I think I;ll wait til next week as we're heading for the 60's. I dont have any n/s ester so I;ll just wait a bit.

sprayman73703

LawnSite Member
If you will add a small amount of (lo-vol 6) or some banvel 2,4-d mix to your roundup it will help a great deal. But don't add too much because all you want the 2,4-d to do is help the uptake of the roundup especially in the broadleafs. I would only add the equivilant of 2 to 3 oz. per acre of the 2,4-d.