• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

? on installing mulch on a steep slope

GarPA

LawnSite Silver Member
have property with a steep bank around a pool. In past years we just pushed the half filled barrows up and dumped but its a tiring job. I think I read here somewhere about putting the mulch on a tarp and then dragging it up the slope?

If you've done this, how does it work compared to the 'barrow method? thanks

bobbygedd

LawnSite Fanatic
gar.....the wheelbarrow has wheels, the tarp doesn't....

bobbygedd

LawnSite Fanatic
ok, i got it! have the mulch flown in by helicopter

lawnranger44

LawnSite Senior Member
First of all, double the price. Then maybe wheelbarrels if you can, if not maybe garbage cans filled with mulch.

Mykster

LawnSite Senior Member
Garbage cans should work depending on how the steep the slope is, but the garbage can will be heavier (than the w/barrow) to pull up the slope and doesn't have wheels.

Have a bark truck come in and blow the bark up the slope.

OP
G

GarPA

LawnSite Silver Member
I'm going to try the tarp approach. Somebody mentioned a couple years ago here that it works better than the barrows on inclines

Premo Services

LawnSite Bronze Member
Originally posted by GarPA
I'm going to try the tarp approach. Somebody mentioned a couple years ago here that it works better than the barrows on inclines
Let us know how it works for you.
I think the dead weight of the mulch on the tarp will be too heavy and make it a real PITA to move it.