1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

on site ph test..what do you charge

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Apr 28, 2002.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

well I broke down and got an on site ph meter...very slick...impresses the heck out of mr customer. Got it from Kel Instruments. Cost around a $100. I like getting the instant ph reading and so does the cust. Granted it doesn't do a complete soil analysis but most of customers don't really need to know every vitamin deficiency in their soil. So how much would you charge for this test?...I'm using $20 right now...thanks

2. hoagie

hoagie LawnSite Member

Sounds about right... I have a home test that needs to be mixed w/ distilled water and reagents, so I charge more... $35 per. Just because it's a little time consuming to wash the test vials, mix, break up and dry the soil, ect. If a customer wants a more accurate test w/ lots of details and dosent mind waiting 2wks, they get the lesco test for $45.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I "sell" that service for free.

It doesn't matter whether I could get 20 bucks or even 50 bucks for it. My feeling is this is one thing I can do that I do not have to make a profit on it. Why?

Because, I know I am going to "profit" on what I find and what service I am going to recomend. And as I am walking around the property, I'm sure I will be able to find other things to point out to my client that could use some "improvement".

End of story...just my 2 cents.

4. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I can't disagree more. You are missing out on additional sales and your customers are missing out on having their lawns complete nutritional needs known. Too bad.