One man crew vs. two man crew

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CentralOH, May 23, 2007.

  1. CentralOH

    CentralOH LawnSite Member
    Messages: 8

    I currently have one employee running a route by himself. I am still adding customers and his route is becoming increasingly difficult for one person to complete. I am considering adding another employee to ride with him vs creating a new route and having the new employee start his own route. I already have an employee in mind that I've been using part time on miscellaneous jobs so that is not an issue. I would need more equipment and another truck if I add the second route but I eventually want to start another route anyway so I'm prepared to spend the money to do this if needed.

    I'm interested in the pros and cons of a one man crew vs a two man crew.

    I'd also like to know if a one man crew can complete a route in 9 hours, how much would adding a second man decrease the time needed to complete the route? Drive time for the route is only a total of 1-1.5 hours.

    I'm sure there are other factors I'm not considering so feel free to point them out.

    Thanks for your input.

  2. bohiaa

    bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,220

    have to do your own research man.....

    Personaly I would NEVER NEVER NEVER stick a one man crew out there
  3. txgrassguy

    txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,083

    First of all, one man is not a crew.
    Secondly, with two employees whom work well together, factor in a minimum of 40% more efficient, more thorough, job completion.
    That said my crews are a minimum of three employees, and between the two maintenance crews (6 guys) they maintain about 165 acres per week total.
  4. MowinJesusFreak

    MowinJesusFreak LawnSite Member
    Messages: 37

    I couldnt agree more i never have a one man crew runnin its just waayyy to ineffecient....two ppl get done so much faster that one its definatley worth it!
  5. CentralOH

    CentralOH LawnSite Member
    Messages: 8

    txgrassguy - thanks for your reply. I'm still not convinced a 2 man crew vs one "person" mowing is more profitable but it appears from your experience you know what you are talking about.

    I realize one person is not a "crew" by definition but I believe you know what I meant.
  6. MJStrain

    MJStrain LawnSite Member
    Messages: 156

    I personally would never send out a one man crew. I always have two or more.
  7. twj721

    twj721 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 619

    Gee guess by your post then I am not a crew I work alone about 80% of time the other 20 % either my wife or 1 of our boys but they can only hep on Sat I like it when I have help as we can get more stuff done like Sat I had to do 1 or our church properties took 4 hrs soloing but when I have help can get it done in about 2 to 2.5 hrs the extra person does help for sure
  8. jsf343

    jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,786

    I am with everyone else on this one. 2 man crew you have 2 sets of eyes so you hopefully don't miss anything as well as they are able to watch the equipment better. Also the safety factor, I would hate for the one guy to get hurt, cut off his foot, or have heat stroke or something, who would be able to help him? I am only throwing out different things to think about. If you do a search on this topic there are thousands of other comments on it as well. Go with the 2 bro, It won't be such a burn out and efficiency is better.


    MOWEMJEFF LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 278

    I work by myself about 60% of the time and the other 40 I have a friend with me who is on the mowing crew for the city (after 330 and on weekends, we also do his 11 accounts at this time) and I hate working by myself. I always get paranoid that a trimmer or blower will get stolen, or if equipment breaks I'll have to troubleshoot with only one mind. Not to mention when we work together we push ourselves soo much harder and take much fewer breaks (my house is within 5 miles of about 70% of my accounts) and believe that in what it takes me 8 hours we can do in 4 or less especially at places where the homeowners chat my ear of and he can be working the whole time. Unfortunately he has a 4 game tryout for the Cape Cod baseball league and as cool as that is hes the most dependable, hardworking, and knowledgeable about the industry of potential helpers, so I won't be dissapointed if he chokes.
  10. fiveoboy01

    fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,988

    I work solo about half of the week. The other half my partner is with me.

    Besides being WAY more productive, I have someone to talk to between jobs, and I just get a much better overall feeling while I'm working because I know that each lawn is going to get banged out in half the time or less. It makes the day's work go by MUCH faster, literally and figuratively.

Share This Page