Only servicing a 20 minute radius?

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
Nah. Your example is true if they are using a 21 instead of a zt.
I just looked and saw the author is in Canada. The problems seem well documented with the 30s in northern grasses, so a 30 might be slower than a 21, maybe turfmaster will chime in on the 30s in Canada lol. What’s the mowing season up there? Outfitting crews for a few months mowing may be difficult to profit.
Still seems like without experience starting off solo for a while is important. If he worked in the industry for years, then coming out the gate full speed with crews and equipment for them is more realistic.
Even giving each crew a good 21”, trimmers, ect while paying wages could take a while before even paying for the equipment.

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
You're already responding like a Lawnsite "pro" and ignoring the fact that not everyone mows the same type of properties.

He's already stated that these lawns are miniscule. Why would he need a ZTR?

Heck, I've been doing this for 11 years now and my 36" walk behind was probably the worst investment to date when I factor in what it cost to buy vs how much I actually use it.
A 21 and a 30 are what I use every day - because they are the best tools for the lawns I mow. (except for a few that I should probably drop because they are too big)

I can't believe I'm defending him. LOL
Thinking about this, I remember the op saying that the kids could land the jobs and then he could bring in a ztr moving forward. I enjoy being involved with the discussions but will keep your suggestions in mind when I might be trying to wear a pants size too big.

Freaky Fido

LawnSite Bronze Member
I just looked and saw the author is in Canada. The problems seem well documented with the 30s in northern grasses, so a 30 might be slower than a 21, maybe turfmaster will chime in on the 30s in Canada lol. What’s the mowing season up there? Outfitting crews for a few months mowing may be difficult to profit.
Still seems like without experience starting off solo for a while is important. If he worked in the industry for years, then coming out the gate full speed with crews and equipment for them is more realistic.
Even giving each crew a good 21”, trimmers, ect while paying wages could take a while before even paying for the equipment.
I thought he was going to RENT zero-turn mowers.

Last I knew the plan was to mow tiny lawns with a ZTR, detail their cars, clean their houses, wash their windows, clean their gutters, walk the dog, take out the trash and make dinner.

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
I thought he was going to RENT zero-turn mowers.

Last I knew the plan was to mow tiny lawns with a ZTR, detail their cars, clean their houses, wash their windows, clean their gutters, walk the dog, take out the trash and make dinner.
My dad had a side hustle called “anything for a buck bob”, unfortunately, he never was able to exit his printing career with the concept, no one took it seriously for some reason lol.

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
Unfortunately, at least for printers, the high speed digital copiers all but buried the traditional lithography trade. I was beginning to learn the trade when I was introduced to the high end restaurant industry and watched the printing jobs fade away from a safe vantage point. My dad tried his hand at power washing and painting but soon became anything for a buck bob when it wasn’t taking off. He moved further down to Florida and printed newspapers till retirement. I do have a friend who seems to do well as a handyman so I suppose done tastefully it is doable. Btw he tells me that the neighbors get lawn service for 30 a cut, I said yeeeahhh, I wouldn’t be running a lawn business in Florida…

oabdu123

LawnSite Senior Member
I pretty much give up on him.
He's all over the place.
He doesn't know what he doesn't know and seems to have it all figured out in his head.
He just wants to hear that his ideas are great.
Oaknut, I noticed that I've my 21 is better on many of my lawns than my 36. What size properties to you maintain?

Top Forums