• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Only use Walk Behinds???

Bull

LawnSite Senior Member
Okay I know many will think I am crazy for suggesting this idea but let me see what you think. I currently run a 48" Exmark W/B with the 17hp Kawasaki and a 60" Chopper with the 32hp Generac. 90% of my properties are 3/4 to 1 acre with many trees and obstacles. I really enjoy the W/B and it seems to manuver better and seems easier on the turf in this type of situations. I am slightly considering going strictly walk behinds. One thing though is I would like for the walk behind to have a 60" deck and as much engine as I can get. I love the Exmark but what other manufacturer / engine options are out there? I have even thought about waiting on the chopper w/b but heard it was a 52" with a 20 some hp engine. What do you all think or suggest?

rodfather

LawnSite Fanatic
Ferris makes a 61 inch deck with a 23 hp kawi. I have 3 of them and think they are great...

brucec32

LawnSite Platinum Member
If not for fatigue/body wear reasons that's not a bad strategy for lawns if you feel you need to get a better cut or less damage. I personally know my longevity will be extended by riding rather than walking or standing on a sulky for that many hours. I used wb's maybe 25% of the time last year, but that was a spike up from previous seasons. I enjoy the wb mowing, but my knees don't.

Would a 60" wb start to have many of the same problems a rider would, due to its weight? I've always used small rather light wb's.

Would a compact ZTR be about the same in terms of damage as a really big wb? The added straightaway speed might get you the same productivity as a bigger deck wb.

matthew horner

LawnSite Senior Member
Yes, do that and sell me your chopper. Seriously, if you do, contact me, I am in NC also.

I just did the opposite. Do mostly resi's, but a few commercials. I have been using only wb's for one and a half years, and purchased a 50" dixie, that I used for the first time last week. I took my toro 52"wb on the trailer and my dixie. Two days (thurs and fri) mowing, toro stayed on trailer, and I got jobs done faster. I am only speaking the truth here, and I REALLY liked my toro. I'll keep it for bad hills, but for now, its dixie and me.

Matt

ACA Lawn Care

LawnSite Member
I have about 20 accounts and all I use is a Meto HP 48" EXMARK. My opinion goes with EXMARK. Great on these Mississippi hills. 48" is just right for me. Maybe you could just get a Turf Tracer with the 60".

Lawnalternatives

LawnSite Member
I just traded my 48" Lazer Hp on a 52" Turf Tracer with floating deck. On props under 1 acre, the WB seems to be the king. I now have a 36" and 52" walk behind and it is all you really need for residential and medium to small commercial.
In 10 years I may think differently, but for now I will ride a sulky. They are just much more versatile.

triadncman

LawnSite Member
I agree completely, I am in the process of selling my rider now to add another walk behind. The properties that I have that I can use my rider on, it dosnt get the job done as fast as a W/B. I like the exercise anyway, I will own a sulky, but only for the 1 acre plus ones