1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Ontario truck GVWR

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Lynden-Jeff, Mar 7, 2007.

  1. Lynden-Jeff

    Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,405


    I have never properly understood this but I come to you fellow lawn site members for some clarification. From what I understand a truck and a trailer can have a combined GVWR of roughly 10,000 lbs. After this what do I require? I want to tow a 553 with my ram 1500 and that will put me over 10,000 lbs. I think I need my yellow safety sticker on both truck and trailer but will I also need to carry daily logs? Some clarification would be appreciated!

  2. Gravel Rat

    Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 9,544

    The best people to ask is someone at the department of motor vehicals. I don't know if Ontario has the National safety code for trucking. Anyhow if you keep your total combination weight at 4999kgs 1 kilogram under 5000 which you have to comply with the NSC rules.

    Once your at the 5000kg 11,023lb gvw mark then the truck is classed as commercial.
  3. shepoutside

    shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,208

    Over 10,000 you do need the yellow safety stickers, and make sure they are where they are suppose to go, they are getting sticky about that. You need logs only if you travel more then 150 miles from your base address. This is from the dodge site "When properly equipped, Dodge Ram 1500 Regular Cab 4x2 tows a hefty 4128 kg (9100 lb)." Make sure you don't go over what your truck is rated for, they are getting picky as of late. Are you registered for a CVOR #? Check with the MTO, for more info http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/
  4. Lynden-Jeff

    Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,405

    I belive I am not registered for a CVOR. What is it? Also where can I get the yellow safety stickers? Any MTO office? I have commercial insurance on the vehical and im towing a maximum of 8000 lbs (I have a class 3 hitch so thats its max).

  5. jablandscaping

    jablandscaping LawnSite Member
    Messages: 8

    MTO cracked down last summer on all the small and medium sized pick-ups and trailers-everyone walks away with at lease a $300 + fine.
    1-no safety stickers
    2-plates not licenced for the weight of your commercial vehile-they told me to check the VIN sticker for my allowable weight and I should have known that?
    3-daily circle check-regardless of how far you are from home, any road-empty or
    or full your GVW is allows on you-
    4-CVOR - not being registered is a 300$ fine- they don't like writing all of your info- once your registered they track your fines and record-its free to register.
    5- over 10,000 LBS. you need a D licence-that will b a bigger fine-
    6-better not have any dust blowing around-that will b an unsafe load fine!

    they must have at least 300-400 items listed on the back of the fine they gave me

    please check with the MTO and local truck drivers or any landscape guy who looks completly stressed while driving--he'll know
    take it easy-or they'll help you--Ontario MTO
  6. Optimum Lawn

    Optimum Lawn LawnSite Member
    Messages: 234

    Landscape Ontario link to whats needed plus links to the MTO site

    read them all to get it straight:hammerhead: :confused: :dizzy:

    For 8000lbs on trailer you will need a CVOR and annual sticker/cert.

    if trailer GVWR exceeds 4500kg you will need a class A licence

    CVOR requires daily log and circle check

    if your trailer "scaled" axle(s) weight is below 6100lbs it does get added to the trucks GVWR weight...this applies for whether you need a CVOR.
    Meaning if you carry less than 6100lbs on the trailer axles it will not be added to the GVWR of the truck...important for 3/4 and 1/2 ton trucks.

    if the truck and trailer GVWR's exceed 4500kg's you need the annual cert/sticker
    if the truck GVWR exceeds 4500kg you need the CVOR also
    if you tow more than 6100lbs you will need the CVOR
  7. Optimum Lawn

    Optimum Lawn LawnSite Member
    Messages: 234

  8. Lynden-Jeff

    Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,405

    Ok so lets get this straight.

    A. I should get a CVOR anyways because its free. Does this make it Mandatory to do daily circle checks?

    B. For example lets say I tow with a ram 1500 (which I belive is around 6300 lbs?) a 553 bobcat (3700 lbs) and the dry weight of the trailer (2150) for a total of 5850lbs. Does this make my GVRW 6300lbs or 12150? If I had this I technically do not need to do circle checks, do not need a cvor. I would only need safety stickers correct?

    C. If you get pulled over by the MTO how do they figure out how much you actually weigh? I travel between brantford and burlington daily and have never really had an MTO so I don't really know what does down.

    Thanks for the help, GREATLY appreciated.
  9. Optimum Lawn

    Optimum Lawn LawnSite Member
    Messages: 234

    A. If you get a CVOR and have a RGW of over 4500kg you'll need to do circle checks plus log every day when using vehicle.

    B. If your Trailer axle weight is below 6100lbs then that weight will not be added to the weight of the truck ( whatever the scaled weight of the truck would be ...empty or loaded including tongue weight). At 5850lbs your getting close....the tongue will use up some weight but I would scale the trailer loaded with bobcat full of fuel plus etc's to be safe. That would at least determine your RGW ultimately, then it is up to you to flirt with the line.

    C. When MTO pulls you over they have a set of portable scales that they will use to measure each axles weight...truck and trailer. If your close on the weights (5850lbs) I would play it safe....CVOR plus RGW of both Gvwr
    I've been pulled over :cry: with a 3/4 ton P/U (8600lbs GVWR) and single axle trailer 2900lbs GVWR...rubbed off the trailer GVWR, with no cert stickers and the guy was nice and didn't ticket:clapping: me simply cause he could not confirm the GVWR of the trailer...but said I should cert both cause the MTO staff at the scales will check with the Trailer Manufacture for GVWR.

    I believe the fines start at $400 FOR EACH infraction for commercial vehicles
    And be VERY nice to the MTO guy/gal...or they like to make you pay.
    :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:
  10. Lynden-Jeff

    Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,405

    Ok I think I get it. I will register the truck for its full GWR and now matter what I haul I should be fine. With a CVOR and a safety stickers I should be good to go without circle checks.

    How can I get to a scale? The only place I know that has a scale is the dump lol.


Share This Page