Oops - wrong fuel

JFGLN

LawnSite Fanatic
I was tuning up my debris loader today and accidentally put a gallon of premix in it. The fancy kind that cost $25 per gallon. Should I drain it? Add more straight fuel?

Kinda sucks as I just took the tank off and reinstalled it.

It started with one pull and I just ran it for a few minutes. Lol. :)

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
Mixed gas won't hurt anything other than maybe fouling a plug if you run a lot of it. Back in the day, a lot of guys would throw a little oil in the fuel now and then in their 4 strokes just to help lube the upper end a bit better. Just add straight fuel to it to dilute it more and I doubt you'll have a single issue with it.

It is when you use straight gas in a machine that requires mixed fuel that you run into trouble.

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
Or put gas in a diesel tractor, no I have never done that! Why do you ask? Jeesh, alright maybe once, but I fixed it. I was tired.

Mowing monkey.

LawnSite Bronze Member
I'd stick a siphon in and remove what you could. Not because it's bad, but because I'm cheap and that stuff is big $$$. Top the tank off with regular unleaded and call it good.
I wouldn’t. Adding more gas to mixed gas will lower the ratio of oil. And I’d ditch the $25 a gallon stuff. I probably burn 100 gallons a year an I’m not even a very high volume user. My 70 cc saw or 80 cc blower will use a couple gallons a day.

Hawkshot99

LawnSite Silver Member
I wouldn’t. Adding more gas to mixed gas will lower the ratio of oil. And I’d ditch the $25 a gallon stuff. I probably burn 100 gallons a year an I’m not even a very high volume user. My 70 cc saw or 80 cc blower will use a couple gallons a day.
I'd be siphoning the mixed fuel to put in whatever he bought it for. Obviously he has a use for it, or he wouldn't buy it.
If I wasn't cheap, I'd skip the effort and fill the tank with regular and forget about it.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
I'd be siphoning the mixed fuel to put in whatever he bought it for. Obviously he has a use for it, or he wouldn't buy it.
If I wasn't cheap, I'd skip the effort and fill the tank with regular and forget about it.
I wouldn't suck it out either. Not unless there was zero straight fuel left in the tank prior to him putting mix in there. If there was any straight fuel in there, it would dilute the mix, and maybe to a dangerous point.

That Guy Gary

LawnSite Gold Member
I put mixed gas once or twice a year in my ride-on or skid sprayer when I screw up and run out in the middle of a job, same with my personal mower at home.

Hell I've even considered running mixed gas in my personal mower all the time just so I only need one can.