Open circuit on a zone

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dennistnt, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Dennistnt

Dennistnt LawnSite Member

Customer said zone 3 wouldn't come on so I checked resistance at the clock and it read open. Located the valve and turned the zone on at the clock and the valve wire measured .003 so figured it was time to trace. I noticed there was a spare wire at the clock and a spare wire in the valve box so I measured the spare wire. It measured 24.7. I noticed the spare wire only had about 1/16" of wire sticking out of the insulation which I've never seen unless a spice broke. Since no one had been in this valve box I surmised that the installer must've connected the last valve wire and the spare wire to this particular valve since it was furthest from the timer. This way regardless of which wire they tied to the clock, the valve would work. Another time a spare wire in the clock was actually tied the the valve. How it became the "spare" I haven't a clue. Hope this helps someone down the road when you have a head scratcher. As Jim says, measure everything and don't assume.

Mike Leary and 1idejim like this.
  2. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

No. Not yet.

Keep Jim close, and continue learning.

1idejim likes this.
  3. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

You may have answered your own question. The original installer may have ganged the two wires due to distance from the controller.

4. RhettMan

from Texas

or its a lazy distant cousin of mikes.

5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Nope, I've had it happen with employees not paying attention during the wire install, though!:eek:

6. RhettMan

from Texas

did you have a hard time hiding the body?

Mike Leary and 1idejim like this.