open trailer vs enclosed trailer

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by D&F lawnmaster, Mar 5, 2012.

1. D&F lawnmaster

D&F lawnmaster LawnSite Member

I have a 24' enclosed trailer with all of my equipment in it. With the price of diesal going up i was thinking about going back to a open trailer. Does anyone here used a diesal truck to pull a open trailer and what MPG are you getting. I use a diesal to pull this 24' enclosed and i am getting around 10:usflag::usflag::usflag:

Cam15 likes this.
  2. robtown

robtown LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I have an 8x16 enclosed and get 13mpg. Gmc w4500....i will not go back to an open.

Cam15 likes this.
  3. scotts lawn care

scotts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

Im pulling a 24' enclosed as well and my chevy duramax is getting aroung 14 mpg.

So im happy with that. I like a enclosed trailer so much i'll never go back to a open trailer.

If your getting 10 mpg - thats not too bad. I use to get 7-8 mpg with my chevy 6.0 gas truck.

Cam15 likes this.
  4. sehitchman

sehitchman LawnSite Bronze Member

I always got 14-15 with the F-250 towing my 5X10 open. I now get over 30mpg towing with my mini diesel truck. Makes me :) everyday!

Cam15 likes this.
  5. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

I feel the benefits from an enclosed out way the fact that you burn a tad more fuel. Your equipment is secure and out of the weather plus its a good place to go to the bathroom. I've never wanted to ask a customer to use their bathroom.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Cam15 and Jake the grass guy like this.
  6. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I don't pay too much attention to mpg because I don't want to make myself sick over it. I have a 6.0 Powerstroke that gets 13.4 according to the onboard calculator. I mostly use my '07 2500HD Chevrolet with a 6.0 Voretc and it really seems to suck the fuel. Doesn't really matter though, gotta have enough truck to handle the load. BTW, I pull a 8.5x20 V-Nose loaded to the gills.

Cam15 likes this.
  7. The Swamp Fox

The Swamp Fox LawnSite Member

Bringing this thread back from the dead to ask if you mind sharing what constitutes your "mini diesel truck"? I'm an efficiency nut and am weighing tow vehicle and trailer options at the moment, and your post above has me mighty curious.

Cam15 likes this.
  8. sehitchman

sehitchman LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, the truck is gone, couple guys from Central America came by with way to much money several years ago, so I sold it 1981 Datsun 720 2wd longbed extended cab. It was in great shape, had working AC and it got turned off going uphill. IMAG0192.jpg

The Swamp Fox likes this.