Opening a Nursery

Discussion in 'Nurseries and Growers' started by TexasFire221, Sep 16, 2017.

1. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

You're quoting prices that are normal for wholesale plants in those container sizes.

There's no fire sale no huge discounts
    Those prices have been those prices.

"All of the sudden" you just noticed those prices

Nope wholesale nurseries have been selling them like that for years.

The REASON why they're more expensive at local nurseries is BECAUSE they have to be cared for and maintained and they get shipped there, and profit added in, so there's more labor $ than plant cost.
    I clearly stated that,
    Maybe you're the one that's drunk.

Like it or not
    I do this more than you
    I've done it longer than you
    And I have vastly more experience than you.
    Also no matter where my paycheck comes from , it's very likely higher than yours.

Spend more time on reading comprehension
    You might learn something
    Like the meaning of FOB

Mitty87 likes this.
  2. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Jersey

Maybe I am wrong, but if the prices I mentioned $6.00 for finished 3 gallon Nandina Gulfstream 15"-18" & $2.75 for finished 3 Gallon Hostas, are everyday wholesale prices, then you can easily show me, where I can purchase them at that pricing.

3. oqueoque

Male, from Jersey

Still waiting for your source that said these "are normal for wholesale plants in those container sizes".

You can't find one. Can you? Clearly you do not know what you are talking about. And it is difficult to believe, that you have been involved in the purchase of plant material, since your numbers are so far out of line. Your expertise seems to be in bullying. It's no wonder, you can't hold down a job, and found it necessary to move throughout the whole country to be employeed. Keep attacking me, when I post on here, and I will fight back.

I have an old Bailey's Nursery & an old Monrovia Catalog from the 90's, that I got at a Mants show back in the 90's, that I found today in my basement, & I kept, because back then all this info was not available on the internet & unlike you, I do not like assuming things. And those prices, I mentioned, weren't even available back then.

Here is a link to Nursery Magazines 2013 Top 50 Nurseries in the USA.
    http://www.nurserymag.com/FileUploads/file/NMTop50insert_cover.pdf

And for some current pricing, here is a link to 20th rated on the list of 50, Tuckahoe Nurseries and their September 2017 price list that shows 3 Gallon Nandina Gulfstream available at $16.75 each. A good deal more then the $6.00 each for 3 Gallons, that I paid, & your expert opinion says is not a discounted price, but the $6.00 is normal for wholesale plants in those container sizes.
    http://www.tuckahoenurseries.com/

http://nebula.wsimg.com/45d5819160f...0058FE7D218B8DA32&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

If we are to assume what you say is correct, then the 20th biggest nursery in the country must not know what it is doing, either.

RussellB likes this.
  4. oqueoque

Male, from Jersey

RussellB likes this.
  5. oqueoque

Male, from Jersey

[​IMG]

6. oqueoque

Male, from Jersey

Still waiting for your source. Talk is cheap, so I thought I would scan the Monrovia & Bailey Nurseries catalogs from 20 years ago to verify my claim that those prices that you say are normal wholesale prices were not even normal in 1997-98.

7. oqueoque

Male, from Jersey

ShowCaseLawnCare and RussellB like this.
  8. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

TPendagast said: LOL. All bark.

ShowCaseLawnCare and oqueoque like this.