Opinion- Isuzu NQR CC service truck

AWilsonCreativeServices

LawnSite Senior Member
Looking for opinions on the feasibility of using about a 10-year-old Isuzu NQR crew cab 5.2L enclosed utility bed truck as my service truck (doing mostly small landscaping, irrigation, & hardscaping). Found one that fits my $25K cash budget.
Currently have an ext. cab 2500 HD utility bed and reg cab F550, both diesels with manual transmission. My business is well past the point where I need to have someone else driving a truck. We also definitely need a full-size crew cab, and I need more space to organize and store tools & parts (I loose so much time not having all the tools I need on the truck, or fittings& stuff for irrigation). Haven’t found anyone who can drive a standard shift, so need an auto.

I was worried about the length of a CC NQR until I read it has exact same wheelbase as a cc dually, w/ a better turning radius. That would help in garden home neighborhoods and downtown areas.

I guess my most important question is, does anybody think it is a bad idea to use his truck to tow some? Only like 4,000-8,000 around town a few times a week? I’ll be keeping the HD for a few years until I can upgrade to a medium duty or maybe CDL dump/tow rig.

I’m working on getting serious about my business. Turned 30 and bought a house abt a year ago, now have a child due this spring. Planning on buying a mini ex or upgrading to newer mini skid steer this year, so need to get my vehicle needs situated for the next 3-4 years. I invite anyone in a similar situation to share their experience. Thank you.

zlandman

LawnSite Bronze Member
Towing with an isuzu would be no issue at all. Depending on chichi model you get it will be comparable or better than your F550. Just watch the bed length and make sure the frame goes all the way to the back. A service body like you say should have a frame all the way to the back to accept a standard Reece hitch.
I've seen contractors tow skid steers behind one every day.

OP
A

AWilsonCreativeServices

LawnSite Senior Member
That’s good to hear, as I was real worried abt the 4 cyl 5.2L being able to adequately tow even our mini skid steer trailer.
Haven’t made it any further with purchasing the truck, as I’m waiting for a check to come in from a job. Hope it’s still available when the money shows up!

I love my 2500HD, but was reminded today while looking for tools I didn’t have on the truck that we are ready for something larger where I can haul most of my shop along with me haha.

Top Forums