Opinion needed - Any 1hp booster pumps you like better than Little Giant?

Bluelude1

LawnSite Member
I don't generally use booster pumps, but have one location that has a Little Giant 1hp pump. 6 weeks out of warranty it has cracked the adapter plate housing so I am trying to decide whether to rebuild it or just replace it.

The pump was worked ok for 2yrs, but barely making it through the warranty period does not inspire confidence. This pump is used for city water (pH 8.7 w/ high sodium bicarbonate).

Should I stick with the Little Giant or can someone recommend a better alternative?

20211012_175901.jpg

20211012_175831.jpg

20211012_175911_HDR.jpg

m_ice

LawnSite Senior Member
A.C. McDonald played a zombie in the original Night of the Living Dead.

A.Y. McDonald is a waterworks manufacturer.

What is the model number of the pump? For a straight centrifugal pump, there are a zillion options. If you want something that won't die from cracked flanges, you have to pay more.

True

Wet_Boots

LawnSite Fanatic
The mentioned Goulds pumps have robust construction. I switched to the JS+ series when an otherwise-fine Jacuzzi pump's cover bolts rusted out and broke while attempting disassembly, after several years of outdoor service.

Wet_Boots

LawnSite Fanatic
If the flow is not too much, you'll get more performance with a jet pump, to the extent that a 1/2 HP jet pump might increase pressure more than a 1 HP centrifugal will.

Both the named Goulds models have an advantage over pumps that use square-flange motors. Their designs, with an adapter piece between the round-face motor and the pump, expose some of the motor shaft, which is ever so useful in the event that the motor shaft gets stuck in place from extended non-use.

Last edited:
OP
B

Bluelude1

LawnSite Member
A.C. McDonald played a zombie in the original Night of the Living Dead.

A.Y. McDonald is a waterworks manufacturer.

What is the model number of the pump? For a straight centrifugal pump, there are a zillion options. If you want something that won't die from cracked flanges, you have to pay more.
It is a LSP-100-C

Depends on how much of an upcharge we are looking at, but I can tell that the Little Giant pump is definitely been designed around a specific price point. I know cast iron has its benefits for the cost but I have had to deal with cracks on both sides of this pump housing 18 months apart.

Not many people look at an irrigation pump and say "that is sweet, I'll gladly pay double" but I don't like to save a few bucks in exchange for a lot of grief either.

I had to call Franklin (owns Little Giant) for clarity on something and was so disgusted by how they handled the call that I would have switched brands based on that experience alone.

What is it that you guys like about Gould pumps in particular?

Last edited:

Top Forums