Opinion on Equipment

anonymous415

LawnSite Member
Hello everyone,

I am new here but this is my second year in the lawn care industry. I was wondering if anyone could give me their opinion on how a truck has a impression on your business. I used to have a 1999 Ford Ranger that was a sharp truck and that is what I used for my business. Unfortunately, due to financial trouble this winter, I had to sell it and I just purchased a 1994 F-250 whichg will work better for me anyways. However, the truck I purchased, once again due to financial problems, is not as nice as the Ranger was and it is quite rusty. Will having a rusty truck make me look unprofessional and/or cause me to lose business? I just want some opinions. Thanks.

FoghornLeghorn

LawnSite Senior Member
Look unprofessional, yes. Lose business, probably not. Maybe high end stuff will look down on old equipment, but run of the mill accounts don't care one bit.

Get out there and do good, honest work and you'll have enough clients to be able to afford a newer truck in no time.

OP
A

anonymous415

LawnSite Member
Look unprofessional, yes. Lose business, probably not. Maybe high end stuff will look down on old equipment, but run of the mill accounts don't care one bit.

Get out there and do good, honest work and you'll have enough clients to be able to afford a newer truck in no time.
Thanks for your input. Truth is, I probably have enough money to purchase a nicer truck but I am planning on upgrading my mower and I feel like that is probably more important at this point in the game. I guess you have to pick your battles.

inzane

LawnSite Silver Member
how bad is it? i mean, if the truck runs good but just ugly a paint job from maaco might get you by to make it look a bit better. i dunnno. :) never used them, but a friend of mine got his s-10 painted there from black to red.. and it looked pretty decent. anywas, just my 2 cents.

Thanks for your input. Truth is, I probably have enough money to purchase a nicer truck but I am planning on upgrading my mower and I feel like that is probably more important at this point in the game. I guess you have to pick your battles.

larryinalabama

LawnSite Fanatic
People tend to look at their yard not your truck, so just do good work.
Be darn certain not to leave any oil on customes driveways from your truck, other than that no one really cares.

lawnpro724

LawnSite Silver Member
It might not make much difference to your low end customers but high end customers will have serious doubts about your service with a run down rusty work truck.

ralph02813

LawnSite Bronze Member
Hello everyone,

I am new here but this is my second year in the lawn care industry. I was wondering if anyone could give me their opinion on how a truck has a impression on your business. I used to have a 1999 Ford Ranger that was a sharp truck and that is what I used for my business. Unfortunately, due to financial trouble this winter, I had to sell it and I just purchased a 1994 F-250 whichg will work better for me anyways. However, the truck I purchased, once again due to financial problems, is not as nice as the Ranger was and it is quite rusty. Will having a rusty truck make me look unprofessional and/or cause me to lose business? I just want some opinions. Thanks.
Just make sure it is clean, clean rust is better than dirty and no rust.

BrianTetreaultLandscape

LawnSite Member
Makes you look experienced! You can tell a lot about a man by looking at his truck, a brand new truck with no dings or dents on it makes me think you just started out :S

I have a 1991 chevy 2500 with over 300k on it... you think im gonna get rid of it? NO CHANCE! it runs its cheap, its strong, and people know ive done work by the looks of it. Keep it clean, and your good to go.