Opinion on salary, east coast.

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by Focusedin88, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Focusedin88

Focusedin88 LawnSite Member

Hey everyone, I am trying to put some feelers out with people who have been in the Industry for an extended period of time/ business owners so I can see what others think is a fair salary for my current position.
    So I currently manage about 38 accounts yearly for regular maintenance, and this year I have completed three12+ zones systems working on finishing another three before the freeze hits here (east coast DMV). Along with those 6 installs 5 of them also had landscape lighting installs from 7 lights to 26.
    When we get a project I send plans over to site one for plans, then base my install off of those plans. I order materials, mark out areas to be trenched when guys are available to help. If not I am doing the trenching, installing and fine tuning myself. Any insight or just thoughts about what is a reasonable salary for those sets of responsibilities would be very much appreciated. I feel like I'm in a bit of a grey area so its hard to base raise requests off anything I have found online. Thanks again.

2. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Silver Member

How big is the company that you are working for? You say that you manage about 38 accounts. Are these all of the accounts that the company has? Are there other people like you in the company filling the same or similar role? How many employees in total work for the company? Without knowing just how big of a company you are working for it's hard to say. How many hours per week do you work? Do you get any perks like a take home vehicle or health insurance? Any idea what the annual gross revenue of the company is? You can work for half a dozen different companies in the industry and I would bet that every one of them would have a different pay structure. Ultimately you're going to get paid what the owner of the company feels that you are worth based on what you are bringing to the table.

3. Hayduke

Hayduke LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

38 irrigation maintenance accounts plus a few installs sounds like a pretty small company. So the gross revenue is maybe in the 150-200K range? Just throwing a number out, maybe you're company does a lot of other stuff and their revenue is much higher. But gross revenue is going to be a sharp indicator of what you can expect salary wise.
    If I had a guy who was top notch like you say you are: managing accounts, organizing orders and scheduling projects by yourself plus job site managing the work with an employee or two and producing over 150K gross a year on your own...$45K salary a year to start, with guaranteed pay raise over the course of the first few years dependent upon your performance

4. OP
    OP
    Focusedin88

So the company is primarily landscape design, hardscape, construction for decks, fences, waterproofing, ect. So the irrigation was subbed out 6 years ago, then it was decided to make it part of the company and bring it in internally. After a few failed attempts with 2 people before me, I came in just about 4 years ago and took control of the whole department. The first two years were more so managing existing customers with one or two installs not including some lighting jobs. The last year and this year things have ramped up quite a bit with installs for both lighting and irrigation. I am currently the only person doing installs, ordering materials, working with our construction supervisor for scheduling when to come in once drainage, grading, or whatever needs to be done before I come in to start laying pipe. There is health insurance that I dont use, do to my wife's employer being our state government. No take home vehicle, the average day is from 6am till 4pm with a 45 min break that is taken sporadically. There are probably 50+ people currently employed. Hope that helps somewhat, currently I'm just a little under what hayduke's thought on salary is. There was a plan last year for me to bring in a percentage of jobs that are sold solely for irrigation or lighting. The issue has been there have been so many jobs coming in connected to the landscape design proposals that I have no time to go out and attempt to sell anything let alone have the time to complete those installs when said jobs would take precedent. So I feel like it's a catch 22, I can make more if I can sell but I dont have time to sell. Thanks for the replies so far, just trying to get some insite before going in to have a chat at the end of the week.

5. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

You’re describing two different things
    One is a management position which would pay $40-45k per year
    The other is a working foreman, who should be paid an hourly wage plus OT because more than 20% of your work day is spent in the field Physically doing work , resulting in billable hours.

what you probably mean by “managing” accounts is actually servicing them.

if you’re a service tech/foreman you don’t get salary.
    Your hourly rate should be in the 18-22/hr range, depending on experience plus OT (time and a half)

oqueoque and RussellB like this.
  6. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Platinum Member

What’s your market like? The Delmarva has some money. Are you guys high end or more of the tract development type?

7. OP
    OP
    Focusedin88

So when I started I had the option to take salary or hourly. Due to winters sometimes being pretty slow I opted for the salary route. I do spend most of my days in the field, but I also create my own schedule, order all my own supplies, communicate with customers when necessary, and go meet with perspective customers letting the person who writes up contracts know what we are proposing.

Definitely more on the higher end of the spectrum. Lots of DC work, very affluent neighborhoods ex presidents next door for example.

8. greenmonster304

Are you on eastern shore or western?

9. OP
    OP
    Focusedin88

Eastern, most work is in DC, Suburbs of DC, and Northern Virgina.

Cam15 likes this.
  10. greenmonster304

My buddy works for a big outfit in Easton and my brother has nursery in federalsburg I’ll ask them what they think.