Opinions Needed Please

ken18621

LawnSite Member
Hi Guys,

I operate a small Christmas tree farm of about 5000 trees. I have them planted 6' apart in rows. I mow with a Gravely 148z that I purchased new in 2009.

Since the discharge chute sticks out very close to the next row I removed it so I would not damage any trees. This is where my problem comes in, The discharged clippings are getting blown into the tree branches and staying there.

What suggestions would you have to stop this from happening?

I think a bagger would stick out too far, plus it would be too much hassle to empty the bags so frequently.

After searching the Gravely website I saw they offer a mulch kit and also a side discharge cover.

I do not care what quality of cut I am getting since these are just fields.

Any imput would be appreciated, As would be a place cheaper than the dealer to get them.

Thanks

jp@absolute

Banned
I would just take the chute off and make some sort of piece to cover the discharge area like hang a piece of heavy rubber over it that wont blow up when you start the blades, or make a discharge cover.

Ticolawnllc

LawnSite Senior Member
I would just take the chute off and make some sort of piece to cover the discharge area like hang a piece of heavy rubber over it that wont blow up when you start the blades, or make a discharge cover.
Get a mulching kit. That would fix your problem the right way for good. Not that much money.

I you want the cheap way, just cut out some wedges on you chute and make it a tighter angle.

Chute covers stres out the engine and that is no good.

Valk

LawnSite Platinum Member
How about an OCDC (either fabricated or ordered from a manufacturer) that would only be partially open. This would allow the clippings to exit in a more downward direction, and the deflector would not stick out as far as a stock discharge chute would.

Your Northern grasses sound challenging to mulch in the Spring - especially if you're not mowing weekly.

land_scaper70

LawnSite Member
two words: BRUSH HOG
A small 20hp tractor and a 48" brush hog unit for it.

OP
K

ken18621

LawnSite Member
Thanks for the replies. After reading your responses I wonder if mulching might not work to well with my mowing schedule. I set the deck at 2 1/2 " , It usually gets mowed before the grass hits 6" but there is a moist area that is usually higher .

jp@absolute

Banned
Get a mulching kit. That would fix your problem the right way for good. Not that much money.

I you want the cheap way, just cut out some wedges on you chute and make it a tighter angle.

Chute covers stres out the engine and that is no good.

I didn't mean block the chute completely. I agree that would cause to much stress on the mower and equals no good, and more wear and tear on the mower then necessary. If there was a piece of rubber that hung over the chute opening it would just deflect the clippings down ward instead of straight out into the trees.