Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive never ran anything but exmarks with kaw's , so've no idea about this mower and engine . wondering if anybody has an opinion on it because i can get a home owner 48'' Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Green Tire
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle
one thats in mint condition . its high at $1500 , but 24 years of a home owner cutting an acre while keeping mower sparkling clean and babied is like buying a 6 month old commercial ran mower . i dont have pictures but heres pics from internet of same mower :

· Registered
486 Posts
ive never ran anything but exmarks with kaw's , so've no idea about this mower and engine . wondering if anybody has an opinion on it because i can get a home owner 48'' View attachment 532079 View attachment 532081 one thats in mint condition . its high at $1500 , but 24 years of a home owner cutting an acre while keeping mower sparkling clean and babied is like buying a 6 month old commercial ran mower . i dont have pictures but heres pics from internet of same mower :
You put up the wrong picture. The one shown is the 36"

IF you find this model year........ shown in this condition, in a 48", 1500 is a steal.

We had a couple of these, and they were great! No deck cracking on these belt drives.

· Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You put up the wrong picture. The one shown is the 36"

IF you find this model year........ shown in this condition, in a 48", 1500 is a steal.

We had a couple of these, and they were great! No deck cracking on these belt drives.
great . thanx for info ! this one is home owner used since new , its a 48 and MINT ! btw , yours did have the kohlers on them ?

· Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
No reason to buy this
not for a pro
it was a great mower in its day
But seriously I wouldn’t buy a 24 year old trruck or loader
Why buy a 24 year old mower
24 years of a wealthy home owner cutting his half acre less than 30 times a year while keeping mower in a heated garage and the way it looks he always washed the mower top and bottom . this mower has cut a half acre 700 times over that time . say thats like doing 1400 average size lawns . say a crews doing 80 1/3 acre lawns per week . thats 320 per month , here in michigan x 8 months thats 2600 lawns per year . thusly this mowers been used like half a year of commercial usage but operated by a sane , non lawncare zombi like us lol , adult thats babying the heck out of it on an immaculate yard where he aint 'baja'ing' onto trailers , 10'' over grown lawns and sticks . at $1500 range it'd take a miracle to find something near this good . i really dont want to pit my opinion on this matter vs yours as i realize you've lots of probably decades running lots of crews , machines and companies . but i wanted to get down to exact details on the state of this machine to make sure you understand how like new this thing is , im not just making this up this thing is immaculate . every single part including rubber hand grips , and sparkling engine . the only factor that i wonder about is the 1998 kohler command 15 pro because ive only ran kaw's over 20+ years

· Registered
486 Posts
great . thanx for info ! this one is home owner used since new , its a 48 and MINT ! btw , yours did have the kohlers on them ?
Ours has the Kawi's.

BUT some info about the Kohler 12.5 as I have that very engine on my 48" Scag as my personal use mower. I can still get parts for the engine too. Keep the oil changed, carb clean and have a spare "Coil" on hand for future use. Good Motor.

Your 1500 mower would be ideal for a larger homeowner property. Could also make a good spare mower in a commercial setup.

· Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have had several kolher commands and all out lived the mower they were put on. they need 10-30 oil for the lifters . i wouldnt hesitate to but another.
thanx for reply . going to call tomorrow to see if still avaliable

Reactions: The Green One

· Registered
21,145 Posts
24 years of a wealthy home owner cutting his half acre less than 30 times a year while keeping mower in a heated garage and the way it looks he always washed the mower top and bottom . this mower has cut a half acre 700 times over that time . say thats like doing 1400 average size lawns . say a crews doing 80 1/3 acre lawns per week . thats 320 per month , here in michigan x 8 months thats 2600 lawns per year . thusly this mowers been used like half a year of commercial usage but operated by a sane , non lawncare zombi like us lol , adult thats babying the heck out of it on an immaculate yard where he aint 'baja'ing' onto trailers , 10'' over grown lawns and sticks . at $1500 range it'd take a miracle to find something near this good . i really dont want to pit my opinion on this matter vs yours as i realize you've lots of probably decades running lots of crews , machines and companies . but i wanted to get down to exact details on the state of this machine to make sure you understand how like new this thing is , im not just making this up this thing is immaculate . every single part including rubber hand grips , and sparkling engine . the only factor that i wonder about is the 1998 kohler command 15 pro because ive only ran kaw's over 20+ years
One word
Parts

the stuff is old
The equipment doesn’t produce

it’s just not worth it
people who look at cars and think it’s more valuable because it has low miles

no not really
All the parts still have age and fatigue

it’s just not a good investment for someonelooking to make a profit

· Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One word
Parts

the stuff is old
The equipment doesn’t produce

it’s just not worth it
people who look at cars and think it’s more valuable because it has low miles

no not really
All the parts still have age and fatigue

it’s just not a good investment for someonelooking to make a profit
ok thanx , i appreciate your advice and will look at other options .

· Registered
2006 Ford F-150
154 Posts
gotta love the old school walk behinds. im skepticle aboujt kohler because im a kawi guy but my redhawk hydro has a 18 hp command engine and it works fine. burns oil though.

i think it would be a great buy if you talked him down a couple hundred.

· Registered
2,939 Posts
I used the hydro version of that exact mower back in '97 when I was a green rookie in the landscape biz (working for another company, of course). Textron put out some great machines. I'd buy that mower immediately for $1500.00. Heck, I'd be willing to spend $2,500.00. IMHO, you really need to check the fuel system for any issues considering its age, but if it runs smooth and strong--buy it. Also, if the belts are original expect them to be cracked. Not a big deal because you can always find new belts.

· Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I used the hydro version of that exact mower back in '97 when I was a green rookie in the landscape biz (working for another company, of course). Textron put out some great machines. I'd buy that mower immediately for $1500.00. Heck, I'd be willing to spend $2,500.00. IMHO, you really need to check the fuel system for any issues considering its age, but if it runs smooth and strong--buy it. Also, if the belts are original expect them to be cracked. Not a big deal because you can always find new belts.
thanx for the reveiw

· Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
just wondering because while looking around at old bobcats online i see they used all 3 of kaw-kohler-honda . has me wondering how people like honda ? ive had honda mini bikes , pressure washers , dirt bikes , 21'' mowers and liked every one . but over 20+ years on commercial mowers only ran kaw or b&s , and was done with b&s 15 years ago running only kaw ever since

· Registered
486 Posts
just wondering because while looking around at old bobcats online i see they used all 3 of kaw-kohler-honda . has me wondering how people like honda ? ive had honda mini bikes , pressure washers , dirt bikes , 21'' mowers and liked every one . but over 20+ years on commercial mowers only ran kaw or b&s , and was done with b&s 15 years ago running only kaw ever since
Back in the early 80's, lots of Briggs and Stratton I/C on walk behind mowers, and I remember they did not last very long........Years later, Honda was an option, and they were quieter, used less fuel, and lasted longer, ect. When Kawi became available later, many made the switch. That's into the 1990's era. After that it seemed many brands lasted longer with oil pumps, better builds, ect.

· Registered
3,580 Posts
has me wondering how people like honda ?
For my personal customers, I use the Honda GXV 390.

It's a rock solid design that has been around for a very long time with a cast iron sleeve. You can get the recoil engine for less then $700, electric start for under $1100.

The only complaint I got from a commercial guy was that it was under powered...Yea, it only 10 HP, single cylinder, so if you are coming from a twin Kaw with 14 HP, yea, you might feel that way......

· Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

It's a rock solid design that has been around for a very long time with a cast iron sleeve. You can get the recoil engine for less then $700, electric start for under $1100.

The only complaint I got from a commercial guy was that it was under powered...Yea, it only 10 HP, single cylinder, so if you are coming from a twin Kaw with 14 HP, yea, you might feel that way......
thanx breezy . thats right on the money because here in michigan spring lawns can get long and many days have to be cut in wet conditions where power matters

· Registered
2,939 Posts

Yeah, 14 HP on a 36" belt WB would be a minimum. A long time ago, I used a Scag 36" WB with an old 13 HP Kawi FH-series engine--the kind that never released compression if cold enough. It was enough power to mow wet turf if mowed routinely, but bogged down if trying to take 6" or more off an overgrown yard. Best to get 14 HP or better like a Kawi FS481V.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts