1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

opinions on Ferris......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jeepster, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Jeepster

Jeepster LawnSite Member

I have 1 1/2 acres.
    Anyone have an opinion on Ferris mowers? My choices are between the new is500z 44" 25hp B&S ELS or is1500z 48" w/kawie 21hp.

Thank you for any replies.
    Dan

2. craglawnmanor

craglawnmanor LawnSite Member

Well, between those two models, I would definitely go with the IS1500Z.
    More rugged construction than the IS500Z, and I like the Kawasaki engine over the Briggs engine any day (although Briggs and Stratton owns Ferris). :)

3. ktb2006

ktb2006 LawnSite Member
    from MKE, WI

I've got a 04 Ferris IS1000, 21hp kawasaki, commercial set up with a 48-in deck for my +1 acres and its been a great machine. If you run a vac system with a PTO off the deck, ther is some power loss but it is nominal. I have alot of flower beds and trees to cut around and some relief (drainage ditch along road) and the 48-in deck was the right choice for my lawn. I agree that the IS1500, 48 to 54in deck, with a Kawasaki 21hp would be the way to go.

Kevin-

4. ktb2006

ktb2006 LawnSite Member
    from MKE, WI

I've got a 04 Ferris IS1000, 21hp Kawasaki, commercial set up with a 48-in deck for my +1 acres and its been a great machine. If you run a vac system with a PTO off the deck, there is some power loss but it is nominal. I have a lot of flower beds and trees to cut around and some relief (drainage ditch along road) and the 48-in deck was the right choice for my lawn. I agree that the IS1500, 48 to 54in deck, with a Kawasaki 21hp would be the way to go for your 1.5 acres.

Kevin-

5. ktb2006

ktb2006 LawnSite Member
    from MKE, WI

Sorry about the double-post. Should have spell checked first.

Kevin-

6. Bueller

Bueller LawnSite Member

I have a 05 Ferris 1000 with 27/61" can't remember if it's a kaw or kohler. Thing has been great. It was the last year before the suspension upgrade, of which I hear great things. Don't really know much about the new Z. I have been looking at a walkbehing though

7. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

I think the 500 is a residential machine and the 1500 is commercial.

8. Jeepster

Jeepster LawnSite Member

anyone else?

9. Jeepster

Jeepster LawnSite Member

Must be that this is still a first year model and no one has any seat time on this unit?

10. landscape guy

landscape guy LawnSite Member

Ferris make a tough machine even though their owned by Briggs,i have a 36" walk behind and a 1000z and they are time savers and really dependable.:canadaflag: :usflag: :drinkup: