• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

opinions on Ferris......

Jeepster

LawnSite Member
I have 1 1/2 acres.
Anyone have an opinion on Ferris mowers? My choices are between the new is500z 44" 25hp B&S ELS or is1500z 48" w/kawie 21hp.

Thank you for any replies.
Dan

craglawnmanor

LawnSite Member
Well, between those two models, I would definitely go with the IS1500Z.
More rugged construction than the IS500Z, and I like the Kawasaki engine over the Briggs engine any day (although Briggs and Stratton owns Ferris). :)

ktb2006

LawnSite Member
I've got a 04 Ferris IS1000, 21hp kawasaki, commercial set up with a 48-in deck for my +1 acres and its been a great machine. If you run a vac system with a PTO off the deck, ther is some power loss but it is nominal. I have alot of flower beds and trees to cut around and some relief (drainage ditch along road) and the 48-in deck was the right choice for my lawn. I agree that the IS1500, 48 to 54in deck, with a Kawasaki 21hp would be the way to go.

Kevin-

ktb2006

LawnSite Member
I've got a 04 Ferris IS1000, 21hp Kawasaki, commercial set up with a 48-in deck for my +1 acres and its been a great machine. If you run a vac system with a PTO off the deck, there is some power loss but it is nominal. I have a lot of flower beds and trees to cut around and some relief (drainage ditch along road) and the 48-in deck was the right choice for my lawn. I agree that the IS1500, 48 to 54in deck, with a Kawasaki 21hp would be the way to go for your 1.5 acres.

Kevin-

Bueller

LawnSite Member
I have a 05 Ferris 1000 with 27/61" can't remember if it's a kaw or kohler. Thing has been great. It was the last year before the suspension upgrade, of which I hear great things. Don't really know much about the new Z. I have been looking at a walkbehing though

ACutAbovesiny

LawnSite Senior Member
I think the 500 is a residential machine and the 1500 is commercial.