1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

opinions on liquid cooled mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greeninga, Jul 25, 2007.

1. greeninga

greeninga LawnSite Member
    from GA

I bought a 29hp kawaski liquid cooled exmark today, any thoughts on liquid cooled mowers themselves. Did I make a smart purchase

2. GroundEffects125

GroundEffects125 LawnSite Senior Member

i had that same engine on a tank cub that was a demo i used it seemed like a great engine from what i could tell the few weeks i had it.

3. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Water cooled engines will generally give you a longer service life than the air cooled engines. Just remember to keep the grass/dust out of the radiator and periodically check the fluid level. I usually blow my 23 hp Kaw. clean (deck and engine areas) before leaving a job site. Mine is a 2001 model and still running strong.

4. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

My Scag with the 26hp LC Kawasaki has the radiator horizontal, across the top of the engine. It has a protective formed wire screen, but openings are too large , so I slipped a piece of fiberglass window screen between it and the raidator. I had the ROPS bump a hanging bird feeder and got birdseed in the radiator and it took a while to pick it all out, the extra screen helps. Other than that it's a fine engine and would definetly purchase again.

5. Kid With A Mower

Kid With A Mower LawnSite Member

Sounds good.
    greeninga, when you get a chance I would like to here you're opinion of the LC Examrk. Because when I buy a z it probably will be an Exmark. Does the DFI really make that much of a difference?

6. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Good choice, very dependable. Same size engine as the previously used Kaw. 27 hp but improved with DFI. Did you get a good deal?

7. greeninga

greeninga LawnSite Member
    from GA

So far I love the machine, it has 72 inch deck and it has plenty of power. So hopefully I made good decision onp purchasing it.

8. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I personally don't need the maintenance and up keep of a liquid cooled mower when the Kohler 28 efi runs perfectly year round without the extra problems that can be caused by radiators.

9. wildbilly1113

wildbilly1113 LawnSite Member

Like puppypaws says I have 2 lazers with 2 & 3 thousand hours [27 kawi] and the only problem is the radiator. Good motors!

10. wildbilly1113

wildbilly1113 LawnSite Member

Like puppypaws says I have 2 lazers with 2 & 3 thousand hours [27 kawi] and the only problem is the radiator. Good motors!