1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LHlandscaping, Mar 4, 2004.

1. LHlandscaping

LHlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from PA/ SW

I'm in my second year here in SW PA. I picked up about 15 clients from a nickel dime type neighbor and only ended up keeping about two of them due to my $20.00 minumum charge. Today I almost got into a fist fight with one prospective client over my minimum charge. Their old service provider was only mowing for $8.00 under the table. Mind you this is not medium sized yard which is terraced. I estimated it would take two men with 21 inch mowers roughly 25 minutes to complete the whole project. I am expensive or are they too cheap?

2. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Running into the same thing here in MO. I've gone with a $25 minimum, figuring I can always go down if I don't get any business at all, but it sure is hard to go up. I also figured it would eliminate some of the very small properties that are hard to get around on with a 50 inch. From reading a lot of posts on here, and asking other lco's, I think one has to have some type of minimum, and stick with it, otherwise you'll have a bunch of propeties which add up to a lot of work, with little or no profit.

And, if it does indeed take 50 minutes at $8, that is less than $9 per hour, not counting loading, unloading, gasoline, and other expenses. You'd be better off working at Wal-Mart's.

3. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Dont stop for less than $20 per mow. Ya gotta have a minimum.Even if its a little old lady on S.S.. etc. etc.

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Move on,forget about it.
    Why a fist fight? They don't want to pay so you don't give them service.