Optimal Water PSI for outdoor irrigation only

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by Garrett1234, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Garrett1234

Garrett1234 LawnSite Senior Member

Hello all
    On another thread with some amazing insight from y’all I have began a new pump/vfd setup.
    Simply put, it’s overkill for my current needs. As I expand I’ll need what is being installed.
    At this point, I can basically within reason set my yard water pressure (house isolated) to anything I choose and the pump will handle it and the vfd will control it.
    All sch 40 pipe
    Rainbird 3000 series through 6504’s
    Plenty of water.
    If you could push a button to make perfect pressure what is that PSI.
    I was thinking 70 to 80.
    Please throw input and reasoning if you would be so kind.
    Thanks much

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

what possible reason is there for any 3000 series rotors?

3. OP
    OP
    Garrett1234

Morning boots
    To be specific the 3500 series. Original layout was designed by rainbird themselves using them for shorter throw distances.
    Not sure if I am answering the question you are asking?

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Check the specs for each head in your design. Look for pressure ratings. I'm thinking a 3500 head is physically flimsy in comparison to larger heads, and may not endure high water pressures.

AI Inc likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Garrett1234

Ah boots i feel like an idiot not considering that. Just looked it up 55psi on the 3500’s. Seems I have a little digging in my future changing those out. Ouch!
    Thanks man.

6. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Gold Member

Most residential rotor heads ideal dynamic pressure is 45 Psi. So 40-50psi dynamic is a good range to shoot for .

7. OP
    OP
    Garrett1234

Morning mitchgo. Thank you very much. I had assumed 45psi was the “Norm”. Just wondered what the ultimate if you could build from the ground up the entire system what you’d shoot for? Still 45 ish?

8. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

a 40-60 setting on your pressure switch will keep you in the sweet spot. Maybe crank it up to 48-68.

Mike Leary likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Garrett1234

Morning Al, thank you. This will be slightly different setup as no pressure switch as I’ll be running a vfd. So no pressure tank set up for this portion. However it seems like the 40/60 is the good norm. My guys installing a “dial” for 5 preset psi’s connected to the vfd. So I’ll have presets of 30 (for the pumpkin patch drip), then 40, 60, 70, 80. I’m sure we’ll settle on the 60 however will be a fun trial to run at diff levels and see results

10. stebs

stebs LawnSite Senior Member

You could swap out your valves and put pressure regulating kits on them and run a higher mainline pressure. There might already be regulating kits available for the valves you have.

Side note, I have a couple pesb valves with the prsdial attachment on my course, but I also have rainbird drip zone kits with the built in drip pressure regulator that I feed 100-110psi to with no issues so far in 3 years.