1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about enhanced efficiency fertilizers with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Orbit Voyager II = Hunter PGP?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by irrig8r, Jun 20, 2012.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I believe so. I'm pretty sure I have done it.
    They can show that the patent # is the same, but I see a much higher failure rate on the Orbit than the PGP, with less overall number of the Orbits in place. That must be using inferior plastics and other materials.
    Orbit and Toro are both 4 letter words in my opinion.

2. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes it is!

3. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

I have found that the green top on the orbits keeps dirt out better than the PGP.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Yeah, but it's really all about the nozzle selection...

5. greenmonster304

I just thought it was interesting that orbit did a better job of keeping the dirt out than hunter. That was one of the things that made me stop using pgps. One year after install I cent adjust because the screw was full of sand
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. AcesOverPacific

AcesOverPacific LawnSite Member

I know this thread is old, but I have to lol at the people claiming that the orbit top keeps out dirt better than the PGP. And also at the comment that they must use cheaper plastics on the Orbit than the PGP. First of all, I can assure you as someone with first hand knowledge, that Orbit's voyager and Hunter's PGP not only use the exact same plastic materials, they are also manufactured in the same facility and use the exact same molds in the molding process. The only thing that changes in the mold is the logo. They are identical products, and any engineering change that occurs on a PGP will also occur on the Voyager. That being said, PGP is Hunter's residential line, and is designed to be more economical while still maintaining good quality and comes with a 2-year warranty. If the conditions for your install are harsh, just upgrade to the I-series rotors, which are commercial grade, come with a 5-year warranty, and are extremely robust. The I-series even offers options like a stainless steel riser, to help prevent damage.

7. greenmonster304

Thanks for the info hoss.

Mike Leary likes this.
  8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I was unhappy to see Hunter discontinue the stainless-steel PGP. It should have been a distributors-only item, to allow installers to show something the big box store was never going to have.

9. kawasaki guy

kawasaki guy LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from NJ

I use the RB 5000 for the few rotors I put in per season. Seem much better than the PGP.

Mike Leary likes this.
  10. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Gold Member

Hunter, orbit , ...................wont use either one .. Rainbird is it