Oregon Gator Blade Alternative

Bigg-Lenny

LawnSite Member
I spent and wasted money on high lift G6 Gator blades for three different mowers last year. The blades never really impressed me when comparing the quality of the cut to the different stock blades on my mowers. Even when sharpened, I didn’t like their cut. They would easily leave scragglers. But my biggest disappointment was that each pass looked like three individual blades, instead of one big one. I’m considering installing a mulch kit on my BigDog. But I don’t want to spend money on a mulch kit if my blades won’t make a uniform pass. So what mulching blades are y’all running with your mulch kits?

Valk

LawnSite Platinum Member
I don't need your exact location, but what region are you mowing in and what are your common grasses?

OP
Bigg-Lenny

Bigg-Lenny

LawnSite Member
I don't need your exact location, but what region are you mowing in and what are your common grasses?
I'm in Arizona. Mostly what I mow is Common Bermuda, and then you have your weeds mixed In here and there.
Did you try the g5?
No, I haven't tried the G5s. I figured that they would end up with the same cut because they're just a "lighter" duty version of the G6s.
Where you running the G6 as your mulch blade? Oregon says on their site that it is a high lift blade. Should be nowhere near a mulch kit. Mulch blades are very low lift.
Yes, I've been using them to side discharge only with two of my mowers, and to bag a couple of times with the third. Three different mowers with the same blades, that produced the same cut. The main reason I purchased them was to side discharge while reducing the size of the clippings for a cleaner look,...which I think they do a pretty good job of that. I agree that it's a high lift blade. Why would they label them as a High Lift Mulching Blade? Now that I'm thinking about it,...it's really a hybrid blade that you get the benefits of both mulching and side discharging at the same time. But on the other hand, the actual amount of lift is reduced because of the spaces between the Gator teeth, which in turn, causes them to not "throw" the clippings as far, when compared to regular high lift blades. What do I know, lol?

Btw, Happy Easter to you guys and your families.

Valk

LawnSite Platinum Member
Many here, including Oregon and myself, view the G5/6 as side-discharge blades due to the amount of lift compared the G3 blades - which are a lower lift blade and more useful for a closed deck style of mulching. Too much lift w/ a closed-off deck will result in undesirable blow-out.

Then, you've got the folks who insist that one can mulch w/ an open discharge chute...so go figure. :laugh:
:popcorn:

Top Forums