Oregon Gator G6 blades

c_renfrow524

LawnSite Member
I was recommended the Gator G6 blades in here for our new Grandstand. After reading their website they say they are stronger for commercial applications. We typically run cheap blades from Amazon and replace them after a few sharpenings. These gator blades are $20 a piece roughly vs our cheap $10ish blades.
How long do you typically run a set of these blades, how many sharpenings do you get, and how long between sharpening?
Interested in finding something that will last longer and have a nicer cut but want to make sure it makes sense financially.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
How often are you going between sharpenings now? If the gators last twice as long, then it's a wash financially. What kind of souls are you cutting on? I understand Sandy soils tend to wear blades faster no matter what.

OP
C

c_renfrow524

LawnSite Member
How often are you going between sharpenings now? If the gators last twice as long, then it's a wash financially. What kind of souls are you cutting on? I understand Sandy soils tend to wear blades faster no matter what.
Fairly sandy, coastal south Georgia. Right now I sharpen once a week, the blades typically last 4 sharpenings before I just put on new ones. Could go longer I am sure but we have a lot of pine cones and the like that get mulched in on a few properties. Just not sure if the Gator G6s are really going to last twice that long. Does anyone use them for 2 months with 8 sharpenings?

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
Fairly sandy, coastal south Georgia. Right now I sharpen once a week, the blades typically last 4 sharpenings before I just put on new ones. Could go longer I am sure but we have a lot of pine cones and the like that get mulched in on a few properties. Just not sure if the Gator G6s are really going to last twice that long. Does anyone use them for 2 months with 8 sharpenings?
How many hours are you mowing weekly?

Hawkshot99

LawnSite Silver Member
I've never kept track, but I get 40+ sharpening out of the G5, which is a thinner blade. Maybe try sharpening more often. I put on a fresh set every mow day. When I sharpening them they are sharp in just a few passes on the stone, so I never have to take off much material. When I let them go way longer, and get more worn till they are more rounded they take many, many more passes and I have to grind off so much more metal to get a nice clean edge.

Freaky Fido

LawnSite Bronze Member
The G6 is a really heavy blade. I run the G5s instead now. The air foils always fail for me on both the G5 and G6 before the blade edge. Probably because the carbide on the edge extends the wear on the edges.

douglee25

LawnSite Senior Member
If you're throwing your blades out after 4 sharpening, you're leaving a ton of money on the table. Sharpen more, throw away less = money saved.

Top Forums