• PPP The Second Time Around
    The Emergency Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020 passed in December contained $284 billion for the renewed Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Click here to read the article.

oregon grinder to sharpen mower blades?

krland2

LawnSite Member
We've had an oregon grinder for a little bit now and are having trouble finding a grinder wheel that lasts. Any of you use a grinder? if so what wheel brands have you had luck with?

Last edited:

sehitchman

LawnSite Bronze Member
I don't really understand your question. Are you looking for a better grinding wheel "stone" or mower blades that last from frequent sharpening?

Hawkshot99

LawnSite Silver Member
A harder stone will last longer, but puts more heat in the blade when sharpening. A softer stone won't last as long, but less heat. Its all trade offs.
I currently have one that was about $12 from lowes. Seems to be middle ground.

It all really depends on the size of wheel and arbor you need.

rippinryno

LawnSite Gold Member
A harder stone will last longer, but puts more heat in the blade when sharpening. A softer stone won't last as long, but less heat. Its all trade offs.
I currently have one that was about $12 from lowes. Seems to be middle ground.

It all really depends on the size of wheel and arbor you need.
This is incorrect.

Harder stones don't put more heat on the blade and they may not always last any longer. What matters is the grit and the makeup of the stone. In other words, what it's made out of.

He needs an 8" wheel and 36 grit seems to be the standard for these types of blade sharpeners. I would look to see if you can find a high quality aluminum oxide. tormek makes a good stone for this type of work.

weve

LawnSite Senior Member
Magna-Matic uses grinding wheels from Norton Abrasives. They sell a soft, medium, or hard wheel, all rated at 46 grit. They state that the softer wheel is the most productive and removes the most steel in the least amount of time. I have used these wheels for 18 years. They work fine for me.