Organic Grass & Weed Killer, that won't stain pavers

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by oqueoque, Apr 22, 2020.

1. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

Sure, just as soon as I'm done here. :laugh:

Mark Oomkes and hort101 like this.
  2. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

I'll get some posters made up.

Come see the one and only THE GREAT BARRY the Weed Yanker from Jersey. 2 days only yanking weeds and spreadin compost. Get your tickets now! Meet and greet tickets available for limited time.

hort101 likes this.
  3. phasthound

You'll have to wait until social distancing is over in the Garden State

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Not really practical. I warmed up a mug full of water for 2 minutes in my microwave. Steaming hot. Poured the hot water on a weed in the crack in my driveway, (Veronica). After 48 hours, it is now brown and seriously injured.
    I am waiting another day or two to take photos of hot-water-treated Poa annua in patio cracks--not brown yet.

SA400306.JPG

mstrat likes this.
  5. phasthound

Was the water boiling? Keep us posted.

6. RigglePLC

Ceramic coffee mug, 1 minute 50 seconds in microwave. Poured steaming hot water on weed.
    Photo after 3 days.

SA400318.JPG

7. RigglePLC

Here is hot water treatment on Poa annua growing in cracks on my patio. I heated the water for about 2 minutes in a coffee mug in a microwave. Steaming hot. I checked the temp with a meat thermometer; it was 170 F. I poured the hot water into a stainless steel insulated coffee container. The hot water was poured onto the clumps of Poa--about a half-ounce. This on May 15.
    The photo shows the container and result after 5 days.
    Some of the Poa is brown and necrotic. This is especially just left of the container.
    In a few more days it will be clear as to whether it is dying or will recover.

Of course, a Fresnel lens as a burning glass/fire starter is more portable.
    https://www.amazon.com/Fresnel-Lens-Solar-Oven-Projection/dp/B00JFTXYAU/ref=sr_1_35?crid=1Z5DAGOP7NTG0&dchild=1&keywords=fresnel+lens+fire+starter&qid=1590032393&sprefix=fresnel,aps,265&sr=8-35

And

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rectangl...s-3x-Magnifying-Sheet-180x120x0-5mm/664842190

SA400001 (3).JPG

Last edited: May 20, 2020 at 11:48 PM
  8. mstrat

mstrat LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Fun experiment there.