• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Organic L/C....simplified?

OrganicsMaine

LawnSite Senior Member
OK, lets say that one is not too scientific, isn't a soils fanatic, and doesn't own a microscope....yet.

How to go organic from here? Soil tests are a must, obviously. Topdressing with compost is a good thing too, but what else, just to get it going? What about worm poop? Should one start the worm farm? What else???

Remember, everybody is entitled to their opinion, if you don't agree, that is fine, but lets not rip anybody apart. Thanks

ecoguy

LawnSite Member
Compost Compost Compost Compost Compost Compost Compost Compost Compost Compost and EM, MF and CT. Build the soil civilization then manage the microbes who make up that civilization. Work with nature.

Btw - Soil tests have their place but you don't need one to know that your lawn most likely needs more OM and increased microbial activity. Can you ever have too much? I'm only planning to test on problem areas and instead allow the weeds to be my indicators. But that's just me.

Last edited:

JDUtah

LawnSite Silver Member
Organic as in 'no synthetics' or organic as in 'most sustainable'? Each has its own approach.

ICT Bill

LawnSite Platinum Member
soil test are useful if you are not familiar with the soil in your area
after you have seen a dozen or so they are most likely going to look roughly the same

I spoke to someone who frequents this board recently and they could not figure out why the could not keep a shade garden in one general area in the back yard, year after year it failed

after speaking to one of the neighbors recently they said "Oh yeah, that's where the previous owner used to dump his used motor oil after changing the oil in his car"

I would imagine a soil test in that particular area would have been much different than the other soil in the yard

ICT Bill

LawnSite Platinum Member
Organic as in 'no synthetics' or organic as in 'most sustainable'? Each has its own approach.
I say share your program, like he said lets swap ideas instead of saying its good or bad

If it works for you then go for it

JDUtah

LawnSite Silver Member
I say share your program, like he said lets swap ideas instead of saying its good or bad

If it works for you then go for it
I didn't mean either was good or bad. I meant they have different approaches, which they do.

Organic as in 'no synthetics' can use various meals for fertilization. It can't use synthetic pest control.

Organic as in 'sustainable' would not use those meals, but would limit its fertilizer to whatever waste stream is locally and economically available instead. It could reserve the option to use synthetic pest control when necessary.

Two very different worlds. Each have their motives. Each have their pro's and cons.

I choose the sustainable rout. Will I be harassed in this forum for admitting my choice? Probably.

Last edited:

Kiril

LawnSite Fanatic
Sustainable, with respect to land management, is reducing your inputs and outputs (i.e. close the system). If that is not your goal ... then you are not practicing sustainable land management.

JDUtah

LawnSite Silver Member
Kiril, look dude. Go piss on someone else. Your constant policing is ridiculous! I wish this site would ban you.

ICT Bill

LawnSite Platinum Member
If you haven't downloaded this and read through it please do, these guys have put a lot of thought into this paper and take the words "sustainable" and "organic" pretty seriously

www.organiclandcare.net

download "the standards to organic land care" manual, it is on the main page

Kiril

LawnSite Fanatic
Kiril, look dude. Go piss on someone else. Your constant policing is ridiculous! I wish this site would ban you.
I see ..... so my opinion doesn't count. And what was it you were saying about not personally attacking people?

I am hard against beliefs, but I rarely attack people personally... usually if I have attacked someone personally it is because they have attacked me personally. The personal attacks are what reduce the quality of the threads in this forum. Let us please refrain from personal attacks and leave the debate to principles only please.
I am sorry if the truth hurts JD, but that IS the essence of sustainable land management, as is defined by pretty much everyone. But heh ..feel free to redefine it to suit your needs though.

p.s. don't hesitate to put me back on ignore if my posts bother you so much.

Last edited: