1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

    Dismiss Notice

Organic license, what is its name?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by zapmaz, May 25, 2008.

  1. zapmaz

    zapmaz LawnSite Member
    Messages: 14

    Looking through the Florida dept of agriculture, there are quite a few licenses. Which license or certificate does one have to have in order to be certified to use organic materials on lawns?
  2. DeepGreenLawn

    DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,372

    Your probably looking for the pesticide applicators license. Here in GA there is not an "organic" license. You have to have a pesticide license to apply chemicals for hire (as a business) period. That should be the one to look for. And then, if your not doing straight organic and you may need the use of a traditional chem you already have the license. I have the Standards, and Turf and Ornamental. I don't know if they are called the same there in FL, I also have to have a commercial applicators license too.
  3. Go-Green Lawn Care

    Go-Green Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    Messages: 82

    You do not need an applicators license in the state of Fl to apply organic fertilizer. The rule of thumb is, "If you don't need a license to buy it, then you don't need one to use it."

    That was straight from the DOA.
  4. DeepGreenLawn

    DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,372

    you need a new rule, I don't need a license to buy 24d but I need a license to put it out for hire. This is GA though, so I am sure it differs from state to state
  5. Go-Green Lawn Care

    Go-Green Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    Messages: 82

    LOL, that "rule" was straight out of the mouth of a rep at the Florida DOA.
  6. zapmaz

    zapmaz LawnSite Member
    Messages: 14

    Go Green Lawn Care :
    What about organic weed and feed, do you need a license to buy it?
  7. DeepGreenLawn

    DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,372

    organic weed and feed? is there such a thing or are you talking about CGM?
  8. Mscottw2

    Mscottw2 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 8

    Yea, no such thing as organic weed and feed. I get all of my products at a local feed store. Anyone can walk in and buy it off the shelf. I suggest you find one in your area, go down there and have a look around. Read the bags, take some mental notes, and don't be scared to ask questions. Find out what they carry and what they don't. Then educate yourself as much as possible on the products they do carry and find out if it will work for you, or look some where else.

    Unfortunately I'm still looking for a good compost supplier. The city used to provide it for free, but now they're into processing their own waste and created a local product similar to Milorganite.
  9. ICT Bill

    ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member
    Messages: 4,115

    Go-Green Lawn Care
    The Division of Agricultural Environmental Services controls fertilizers and pesticides in FL. I believe if you call Bill Cox and ask him about applying unregistered fertilizers in FL he will give you a much different answer

    The fertilizer must be registered as a fertilizer to be used for the stated application. Now if you state that you are just amending the soil, it must be registered as a soil amendment in FL. It is all about what you state you are doing.

    If you state that you are apply a fertilizer and it is a bag of alfalfa meal with no guarenteed analysis on it you are breaking the law and can be fined

    Answers are here http://www.flaes.org/
  10. Mscottw2

    Mscottw2 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 8

    Thanks Bill for the link. However when I went to the website, it seemed to me that you only needed as license if you were either a manufacturer or a dealer.

    So I e-mailed Bill Cox and asked him if you need a license to put down meals and compost/teas and such, and I got this response. I hope it is helpful to others in the future. Hopefully it will finally put this question to rest.......at least here in Fl.

    "We currently do not regulate the use or application of fertilizer. If you were to apply a fertilizer product that was guaranteed by a company (name appearing on the bag) that is a registered Fertilizer Licensee with our agency, no license would be required. Attached is a current licensee list, cross-reference the name of the company appearing on the product label to confirm their license status.

    However, if the company name appearing on the product label is not licensed with our Department, and you intend to formulate a fertilizer product derived from recognized plant food source materials such as soybean meal, corn gluten meal and compost, licensing, registration and labeling of the fertilizer will be applicable.

    I recommend that you purchase a fertilizer product whose company name is licensed with our Department. Therefore, when you apply the fertilizer to your customersÂ’ yard, you are billing them for the service and not the fertilizer material being applied.

    Our registration period ends on June 30 of each year, renewal commencing on July 1. Feel free to visit our website at the following address to obtain additional information.


    If you wish to discuss in detail, feel free to contact my office.


    Bill Cox"

    I have included "THE LIST" of almost 500 Fertilizer Licensees. The company that manufactures the SBM, CGM, and compost that I buy are all on the list, and most likely yours will be as well.

    So unless you're buying your organics from Pakistan, you probably don't need a license.

    Attached Files:

Share This Page