1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Organic Poison Ivy killer?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by NelsonLandworks, Sep 17, 2004.

1. NelsonLandworks

NelsonLandworks LawnSite Member

I did a search on this and didn't come up with anything, so I figured I'd start asking. A big client of mine doens't like chemicals at all, and thier house(s) are surrounded by it. Do you know of anything I can use to get rid of it? thanks guys
    Wes

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Tell them to get pulling. PI can be a pain in the azz to control using the best herbicides on the market.

3. Keegan

Keegan LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

Look up North Country Organics. They have something for Poison Ivy. I've never used it but will try it next year.

4. urbanlandscape

urbanlandscape LawnSite Member

I have been using plain white vinegar with good results. Add 2-3 drops liquid dish soap to a spray bottle of vinegar and spray to runoff. May take several applications on poison ivy, but works eventually, the younger the better. Good luck.

5. NelsonLandworks

Thanks a lot! I'll give that a try asap

6. Dchall_San_Antonio

Dchall_San_Antonio LawnSite Senior Member

If at all possible, rent some goats to eat it. If that isn't practical (and I realize most clients are not rural), 20% vinegar as a foliar mist will knock it down to the ground in about 30 minutes. You will need to reapply as it regrows but it will not regrow forever. I will die from lack of photosynthesis as long as the greens are knocked back.

Be careful if you use the 20% vinegar. It is very hard on skin and will cause a fairly long term blindness if you splash it into your eyes. Normal precautions for splashing and spraying will keep you okay.

7. NelsonLandworks

thanks Dchall