1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Organic Preventive For Insects in Winter Flowers

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by ed2hess, Jan 2, 2005.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I would like to use some organic alternative to Telstar for preventing bugs from getting into pancies, snapdragons, etc. I am not talking about slugs and snails I unfortunately have found that organic alternative does not give good protection on these. Don't ask me what kind of bugs, all I know is Telstar kept them clean. I do a lot of commericial flowers and have found that the use of bone meal, hastogrow, seaweed, and compos/tea really does a good job. This has been a very bad year for winter flowers...but mine is hanging in and I think it is the organics. :help:

2. Dchall_San_Antonio

Dchall_San_Antonio LawnSite Senior Member

I use liquid seaweed diluted 2 ounces to a quart of water. Spray every 2 weeks.

You didn't really mention any organic fertilizer (besides HastaGro - see below)). I use corn meal under everything to prevent almost all fungal disease (10-20 pounds per 1,000 square feet). I'm starting to spray with diluted milk, too. Dilute 1/3 cup or any kind of milk per gallon of water. Foliar spray to mist 2,500 square feet.

Even though the Hastagro headquarters is sort of in my neighborhood, I don't really like their products. If you like it, use it, but I use my money for corn meal.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I started using cornmeal before I plant flowers....but could not find it in Austin near the end of the year!! Thanks for the response.

4. Dchall_San_Antonio

I get mine at feed stores. John Dromgoole's store should carry it. It used to be called Garden-Ville but I think he bought it out and it has a new name.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Yep you are correct....he has the corn meal. I am going down this week to pick their brains on organics. I listen to his show on 590 on saturday and sunday. In the meantime I am spraying flowers with seaweed and milk, and so far so good. Would blood meal be better than hasta-gro for fetilize? I have the best flowers this year on ALL my commericial sites, than I ever had! I am also putting compost tea on monthly.

6. Dchall_San_Antonio

If you're in Austin and spraying compost tea, you absolutely NEED to talk to Betsy Ross. She's northwest of you but not far. She sprays 500 acres 4 times a year so she's hopping on compost tea. Her website is www.rossfarm.com.

Blood meal by itself is not a sub for Hasta-Gro. The best fertilizer I've seen in action is Texas Tee. It's a mix of feather meal, grains, and a small amount of blood. Blood is on the dangerous side as far as I'm concerned. Too much will burn, so mixed in with the feather and grains seems like a perfect fertilizer to me.

I sprayed seaweed on my winter tomatoes and they were awesome (until they froze).

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Dave what is feather meal? can I get this at feed store?

8. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

you should learn your bugs not all of them are bad

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The bugs are aphids lots of them.....Now what do you suggest? Don't suggest bringing in good bugs and don't suggest washing them off!