1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

organics and money

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by northmichigan, Jan 21, 2005.

1. northmichigan

northmichigan LawnSite Member

i've been in the landscape constrution biz for the last 19 years before that i had a lco. now doing installs i've had customers question me on care of plants and lawns. when i suggest a course of action for the homeowner i try to make it as safe as possible.when i suggest an organic fert for perrenial gardens and shrubs the customers really seem to respond to the idea of using organics. i always suggest using bagged products that have the npk listed on them. it maybe a romantic notion that these old time products are safer for their families but the people respond to the idea. i try to give the customer a little extra knowledge and show interest in their yards. this pays off in many return customers that i say have 'approved credit'.
    mj

2. Dchall_San_Antonio

Dchall_San_Antonio LawnSite Senior Member

Good job. It's just that simple in the upscale neighborhoods.

I just heard my local organic radio guru quoting a study (from where he didn't say) that said 60% of the public believes organic produce is better for them than chemically fertilized produce. Still only 1% of the produce sold is organic. Personally between the high price and the crappy appearance of organic produce, I think I speak for many when I say, NO SH!T, SHERLOCK! Organic produce looks awful at the market and I don't know why. And the price!!! HELLO! So I think there is a potential market out there if you can find a legal way to do the job.

In some states I think you can apply soil amendments (not fertilizers) without having to have NPK labels. If that's true in your state, then applying corn meal or alfalfa is a slam dunk.

3. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

And some states dont require a license for fertilizer either. That is changeing as more states have started restricting phosphorous use.