Lawn Care Forum banner

Ornamental grasses

3K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  44DCNF 
#1 ·
Can I cut back on ornamental grasses in Fall? They are still green. Will it affect it if I do it now, I’m in Kansas.

#5 · (Edited)
Are your ornamental grasses new to you? Many people like the ornamental feature (although brown) in the wintertime. e.g. blowing in the winter winds. And then cut them back in later winter or very early Spring.

#14 ·
It depends on the variety...miscanthus get huge if you don't divide them. So can fountain grasses of some varieties. Panicum spreads slower and is easier to control. Little and big bluestem are clump types but spread slowly. And in my opinion are very underused natives. Especially little bluestem.

It also depends on where you live as I kind of said. Some areas they grow faster and get out of control.

#16 ·
Best to wait until early spring to cut them back (3 - 5 inches). Unless you have tall ones >> then you might want to top them off a bit to reduce snow/ice damage. I never suggest cutting them down before winter << several reasons

#21 ·
Question. Cut them back 3-5" or cut them back to 3-5"? Why don't you suggest cutting them before winter?

Thanks...
I'm not advocating cutting ornamental grasses down in the fall, unless they are some of the messy miscanthus.

Ornamental grasses are generally quite beautiful in the winter because of their upright form and sometimes foliage color.

The other reason we might cut some down is placement. Sometimes they are along sidewalks or drives and when heavy snow falls, they hang over the walks or can contribute to drifting issues along drives. And yes, I have been guilty of installing them too close to sidewalks.

Reactions: hort101
#22 ·
I'm not advocating cutting ornamental grasses down in the fall, unless they are some of the messy miscanthus.
yup, and the weather has an impact, snowy and wet can send that miscanthus to shaggyville in a hurry.

Here in SW Ohio, I leave them alone until they really get ragged. Try to catch a warmish late Jan. early Feb. day and fire up the trimmers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.