1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

our first walkway

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mbs, May 30, 2004.

1. mbs

mbs LawnSite Member

these are some pics of our first walkway. took me and my partner a full week to complete. big thanks to this site lots of info and research.

2. mbs

mbs LawnSite Member

more pics..........................

before-and-after1.jpg

3. mbs

mbs LawnSite Member

more pics...................

before-and-after2.jpg

4. mbs

mbs LawnSite Member

custom semi-circle...........

untitled-1.tif.jpg

5. mbs

mbs LawnSite Member

more pics..............

img_3208.jpg

6. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Why the use of both sailor and soldier courses? ;)

7. Rex Mann

Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like you guys did a good job. Whenever we have a 1/2 gap or more between two pavers, in the field or soldier or sailor, we cut them. It gives you a more finished and professional look.

Also, less chance of sand to wash out or weeds and grass to germinate.

Peace,

Rex

our web site

8. blafleur

blafleur LawnSite Member

Beautiful design, obviously very labor intensive. Gotta show my ingnorance, though, what is soldier, sailor, and field. I dont do pavers.

Bryan

9. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I had not heard the term sailor course until just now.

I believe that the sailor/soldier course is referring to the same thing, it just denotes how the pavers are laid in relation to the rest of the walk/patio. The field would be the majority of the pavers making up the surface. The soldier/sailor course is the perimeter pavers.

The second to last set of pics shows this. The soldier course in that set would be the semi-circle of bricks surrounding the pattern at the base of the steps. All of the bricks are laid side-by-side, just like "soldiers". Now, in the curve of the walkways, the perimeter pavers are laid end-to-end, I believe those are what are being referred to as the sailors.

If I'm wrong about the field or sailors, someone can correct me. I'm 99.9% certain I'm right about the soldiers though!:)

Dan

10. Rex Mann

Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member

Dan,

You are right about the soldier and the sailor. Back in the day we used to use the soldier 100% of the time. Now we use it about10% of the time. The sailor allows us to make most designs flow better. And, if you do have to cut them, remember we cut them if there is a 1/2 inch gap or more, it is easier and faster to cut the width then the length.

Happy paving:)

Peace,

Rex

our web site