Outdoor kitchen blueprint needed

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by snap12.5, Mar 11, 2019.

1. snap12.5

snap12.5 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I need a blueprint of an outdoor kitchen I'm designing so I can take to the permit office. However, I do not have software to design this. My experience with software is limited as I do all of my landscape designs by hand but this needs to be approved by the permit office and they are requesting blueprints. What do you guys recommend i use? Need something simple.
    Thank you

2. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

a blueprint is nothing more than a copy of a drawing. just make your drawing (normally on 24x36" paper) and get them a copy. make it to scale!

TPendagast likes this.
  3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

they are using the word "blueprint" because they dont know what else to say.
    Your hand rendering will be fine.
    Originally, all blueprints WERE made by hand...that was the job of a draftsman.
    make sure youve got your scaled dimensions in your hand drawing.... they dont need CAD software to approve your project.

4. snap12.5

from Ohio

Thanks for the feedback. Very helpful.
    1.Will a "bird's eye view" and ground view drawing suffice or will it need to be 3-d?
    2.The guy on the phone also wanted a gas line permit too and said i need to include that. I'm not sure exactly how my plumber is going to run in to the grill so would i just roughly guess how its coming out of the basement?
    3. This kitchen will be touching the house. Will the house need to be drawn in too with sketch?
    Thanks!

5. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

6. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with what everyone said about a "blueprint" as just being a plan drawn to scale. I'm not sure how the gas works in your area, but outdoor kitchens in my neck of the woods are typically done by running a line underground directly from the meter rather than connecting from the house. You should talk to your gas fitter to help you with that.

7. snap12.5

from Ohio

Thanks all!
    What’s the permit process usually like for outdoor kitchens? And can any landscaping company get a permit to start building these?

8. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

It depends on your local area for some of the work. Gas and electricity are two things that typically require licensed professionals and permits to install. That is usually just as simple as hiring a local plumber that is also licensed as a gas fitter -they'll get the permit and inspections for connecting the fixture to the gas service. In my area the contractor usually digs the trench for the gas line for the plumber. The plumber does not install the fixture, he just connects the gas. If you have outlets or power rotisserie you'll need an electric permit and an electrician.