1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

outdoor kitchen narrow walls to conserve material

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Mr. Midwest, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Mr. Midwest

Mr. Midwest LawnSite Member

Im working on a layout for a outdoor kitchen and will be using 4x8x12 dimensional wall block.....brussels block, westin block ect. Most of the kitchen you see are built laying the block long ways so the block is 12 inches long, 8 inches deep and 4 inches tall. I was wondering if you could build the wall using the block on it side so its 12 inches long 4 inches deep and 8 inches tall. I realize this will not be as strong but with glue and the interlocking nature of the block i wonder how structurally sound this would be? I only have a fixed amount of material left and i and trying to stretch it as far as possible.

Has anyone ever built like this?

2. brichter14

brichter14 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah don’t do that. Sometimes in this profession you screw up the estimate and have to eat the cost.

Consider it a lesson.

3. Mr. Midwest

Mr. Midwest LawnSite Member

This block is no longer manufactured and it would be only on the backside of the kitchen. It is also at my own house. Its against what i would do at someone elses property but i wondered how it would hold up.

4. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

nah
    nah and nah

If one thing I learned over three decades is use the material for its intended purpose, the way it was designed.
    dont try to reinvent the wheel.

If you want to build like that use natural materials like rock, slate, blue/field stone.